RB2- Derrius Guice
FB- Kyle Juszczyk

WR1- Pierre Garcon
WR2- Marquise Williams
Slot- Trent Taylor

TE1- George Kittle
TE2- Garrett Celek
Blocking TE- Durham Smythe

OL Reserves: Josh Garnett, Garry Gilliam, Zane Beadles, Erik Magnunsen, Sam Jones

WR Reserves: DJ Moore, Kendrick Bourne, Aldrick Robinson, Trey Quinn

RB Reserves: Matt Breida, Joe Williams, Raheem Mostert

Base D:

5T- Solomon Thomas
NT- Earl Mitchell
3T- Deforest Buckner
LEO- Arik Armstead

Nickle D:

9T- Cassius Marsh
1T- Solomon Thomas
3T- Deforest Buckner
LEO- Jeremiah Attachou

CB1- Richard Sherman
CB2- Akhello Witherspoon
Slot- K'waunn Williams
FS- Adrian Colbert 
SS- Jaquiskii Tartt

SAM- Eli Harold
MLB- Josey Jewell
WILL- Malcolm Smith

DL Reserves: Sheldon Day, Ronald Blair, DJ Jones

LB Reserves: Brock Coyle, Dorian O'Daniel, Dekoda Watson, *Reuben Foster

DB Reserves: Jimmy Ward, Carlton Davis, Kyzir White, Dexter McCoil, Greg Mabin
That would leave us with a raw rookie at right tackle and our pass rush to Armstead, Attachou, Marsh, and Harold? That seems to be a weak tackle and pass rush.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
That would leave us with a raw rookie at right tackle and our pass rush to Armstead, Attachou, Marsh, and Harold? That seems to be a weak tackle and pass rush.

Can't fill all the needs in one year.

Miller tested off the charts. He will be fine and make as big of an impact on offense as Solomon did on defense.

As for pass rush, well again, we can't fill all the needs in one year. Every single pass rusher has legit question marks. I don't see one pass rusher worthy of a top 25 pick this year other than Bradley Chubb.
IMO, our #1 need is pass rush. If we don't come out of the draft with a 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd round pass rush prospect, I'll be bummed.
What can Kolton Miller do that T. Brown can't? Maybe a slightly better run blocker, but I've read he'll probably have problems pass protecting at the NFL level, something that Brown excels at. Passing up an opportunity to draft T. Edmunds/ R. Smith/ D. James/ H. Landry/ or M. Fitzpatrick would be a blunder IMO . And Solomon made a big impact on defense last year? I do like the C. Davis and DJ Moore picks though.
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Mar 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM ]
Originally posted by JimmyJesus:
What can Kolton Miller do that T. Brown can't? Maybe a slightly better run blocker, but I've read he'll probably have problems pass protecting at the NFL level, something that Brown excels at. Passing up an opportunity to draft T. Edmunds/ R. Smith/ D. James/ H. Landry/ or M. Fitzpatrick would be a blunder IMO . And Solomon made a big impact on defense last year? I do like the C. Davis and DJ Moore picks though.

Edmunds? Hard pass
James? Hard pass
Fitzpatrick? See above

I do like Roquan and Landry but not at 9.

As for Miller, I'm basing it on Trent Brown being one of the worst run blockers not only on our team but the entire league. I like the guy but he simply isn't a fit.

Add to that the fact that Staley is on his last legs and I think OT is a HUGE need.

Shanahan loves SPARQ and Miller has the best combine since Jonathan Ogden in 1996. That's some pretty good company. Kolton Miller is also the prototypical tackle for a Shanahan ran scheme.

I personally believe it will be between Kolton Miller and Marcus Davenport and I would be happy with either. Guys their size shouldnt be able to move the way they do and they arguably have the biggest upside out of any prospects in the draft.

I swayed towards Miller because I didn't want to use premium picks on DL 4 years in a row.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 21, 2018 at 5:53 PM ]
Miller in the top 15. Are you kidding me lmao. i can't even get past that. The guy is a 3rd-4th round talent. At best. Don't care about his combine. Top 15? Like really?
[ Edited by Dillesq on Mar 21, 2018 at 6:12 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Wait Solomon Thomas that graded out as the top run defender and 6th overall pass rusher for all interior defensive lineman in college last yr? Lol yeah that's clearly the same as Miller. 

Dude go watch Miller's tape. Adam Peters was just talking to MM and stated that combine numbers mean little in the grand scheme of prospects...it's all about the film. 

How about you take you hate of Brown out of it lol...you're trying to forcefully like a guy like Miller because you don't like Brown. In any draft with some real OT prospects, Miller would be a day 2 prospect. 

His footwork and hand placement are not good...saw too much of stuff like this and Rosen constantly getting punished 

If he's chilling there in the 3rd then check it out. I have no problem with that, but imo he's gonna be overdrafted.

Solomon was the 6th overall pass rusher and Miller is the 10th best pass blocker. Yes, you are right. They have nothing in common. 

Kolton Miller is an early entry to the draft after a strong redshirt junior campaign which saw him surrender only two sacks, eight hits, and six hurries of the quarterback on his 579 pass-blocking snaps

Per Pro Football Focus, Miller allowed just 15 quarterback pressures (two sacks, eight hits, five hurries) on 544 pass-block snaps in 2017, which was good for the site's 10th-best Pass-Block Efficiency score among 121 qualifying offensive tackles. In a pass-happy NFL, Miller's pass-blocking prowess will likely be the main reason he's picked in the first round

5 hurries and 8 hits means Rosen was getting punished?? Good lord.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-kolton-miller-has-a-well-rounded-franchise-left-tackle-skill-set/amp/

I think you are the only person in the world who thinks Miller is a 3rd round pick. Mel Kiper has him going #12 to the Bengals

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/21/17035892/nfl-mock-draft-2018-mel-kiper-bengals-kolton-miller-ucla-bruins

You were talking about his tape?

Miller's tape while protecting potential No. 1 overall pick Josh Rosen's blindside is pretty impressive too. 

www.google.ca/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/02/kolton-millers-strong-combine-could-impact-browns-draft-plans/amp/

UCLA's Kolton Miller, whose film shows an outstanding long blocker who struggles with technique, may have solidified his spot in the first round in Indianapolis.

Miller, who stands at 6-foot-8 and 309 pounds, posted a position-best 1.67-second 10-yard split in the 40-yard dash, posted 24 reps despite having some of the longest arms at the Combine, and jumped 10-foot-1 in the broad jump.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2018-risers-fallers-nfl-draft-indianapolis-nick-chubb-shaquem-griffin-orlando-brown/1dgmslcyncoug1gn7ykwc3sgg0

He is basically a Lane Johnson clone who went #4.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/some-thoughts-on-uclas-kolton-miller

✔@NFLResearch

UCLA offensive lineman Kolton Miller at the 2018 Combine: 

- Taller than Calais Campbell
- Heavier than Ndamukong Suh
- Quicker than Carlos Hyde
- Jumps higher than Jamaal Charles@UCLAFootball

1:33 PM - Mar 2, 2018

Coach this kid up on his technique and he will be a dominant offensive tackle.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 21, 2018 at 6:17 PM ]
No linemen did in the combine what Kolton Miller did since 1996 when Jonathan Ogden lit it up. That's pretty good company.
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Miller in the top 15. Are you kidding me lmao. i can't even get past that. The guy is a 3rd-4th round talent. At best. Don't care about his combine. Top 15? Like really?

Miller isn't a top 15 pick, but he's not a 3rd or 4th talent either. He's a late first pick at best and a mid to late 2nd round pick at worst. You can't teach his size and athleticism.

That said, I would rather keep T. Brown over a raw college prospect right now. Can't solve every problem in one offseason.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Dillesq:

Miller isn't a top 15 pick, but he's not a 3rd or 4th talent either. He's a late first pick at best and a mid to late 2nd round pick at worst. You can't teach his size and athleticism.

That said, I would rather keep T. Brown over a raw college prospect right now. Can't solve every problem in one offseason.

Based on tape he's a 3rd or 4th rounder. Lack of T talent pushes him up. But he's a project that isn't being drafted based on what he can actually do because he's not really good
Yea man, can't get behind this draft at all.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Let's see here let's trade our best lineman to draft a lineman. I have two words hell no
Not sure why trade a tackle just to draft a tackle with the 1st pick? I'd rather take a pass rusher over a tackle. And even if you did that trade and picked Kolton how could you not take one pass rusher out the next 5 picks?
That O-line is terrible and pass rush is weak off the edge. The 2 things that were priorities coming in
Share 49ersWebzone