LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Simple 1st Round Mock Draft w/ Trades (feel free to post your 1st round mock ideas as well

1st Round Mock w/ Trades:

Quick Thought: I know that there is no way player (insert name here) is going here or dropping there, but there always seems to be a prospect or 2 that drops and a prospect or 2 that has a 2nd round consensus that goes in the 1st. Also I know there is a high possibility that Josh Allen goes in the top 10 and maybe even #1, but Arizona needs a QB but they also have other needs and not a lot of draft capital, so I put him where I put him, although, even if I am right and he goes to AZ, I think it's more likely they trade up at least 1 or 2 spots to get him and make sure another dark horse team doesn't jump them.

CLE (1): Sam Darnold
BUF (2): Josh Rosen (Trade w/ NYG for 12, 22, 2019 1st, 2nd round pick, & a 3rd round pick) Or something similar, try not to get hung up on compensation.
NYJ (3): Baker Mayfield
CLE (4): Minkah Fitzpatrick
DEN (5): Saquan Barkley
IND (6): Bradley Chubb
TB (7): Derwin James
CHI (8): Quenton Nelson
SF (9): Tremaine Edmunds
OAK (10): Denzel Ward
MIA (11): Roquan Smith
NYG (12): Will Hernandez
WSH (13): Marcus Davenport
GB (14): Calvin Ridley
AZ (15): Josh Allen
BAL (16): Courtland Sutton
LAC (17): Vita Vea
NYG (18): James Daniels (Trade w/ SEA, SEA drops to 22 and picks up a 2nd NYG gained in BUF trade)
DAL (19): Hayden Hurst
DET (20): Harrison Phillips
CIN (21): Mike McGlinchey
SEA (22): Isaiah Wynn
LAR (23): Arden Key
CAR (24): Maurice Hurst
TEN (25): Christian Kirk
ATL (26): Taven Bryan
NO (27): Mike Gesicki
PIT (28): Ronnie Harrison
JAX (29): Orlando Brown
MIN (30): Billy Price
NE (31): Kolton Miller
PHI (32): Darius Guice
[ Edited by NinerLegionnaire on Mar 21, 2018 at 1:58 PM ]
Only thing id change is Harold Landry to GB, which pushes Ridley to Baltimore. Oh, and rashaan Evans to pitt. Oh, and rams take sweat over key. If you're gambling, gamble on sweat, imo.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 21, 2018 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Only thing id change is Harold Landry to GB, which pushes Ridley to Baltimore. Oh, and rashaan Evans to pitt. Oh, and rams take sweat over key. If you're gambling, gamble on sweat, imo.

The thing is, Green Bay has ZERO secondary outside of Kevin King. It's a desperate need. I think they'd go CB
Pick Explanations: Top 10

Sam Darnold: Cleveland needs a QB, he is arguably the best in this class. Saw a bit of his Pro Day workout today, and it looks like his throwing motion has improved. It looks quicker and more compact. The ball seemed to be firing out, even in the rain.

Josh Rosen: To me he is the best QB in the class, I think he has the football awareness and understanding of the best QB's in the league, Darnold may have a higher ceiling physically, but I don't believe any QB in this class comes close to Rosen in understanding offensive concepts and executing against defensive concepts. I also believe he checks off all of the boxes in regards to what Sean McDermott wants in his QB.

Baker Mayfield: Many might put Josh Allen here, but the Jets have already invested in a QB with potential and a sub-par completion percentage and that QB couldn't even get on the field. Instead they go with Mayfield who has shown the consistent ability to execute the offense and pass with timing and accuracy. He also has a personality that may hold up well in NY and may even remind Jets fans of the last QB to bring them glory.

Minkah Fitzpatrick: Tough pick here, many options. Ultimately I decided the Browns go with Fitzpatrick as a potential match-up against divisional opponents like Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, etc.

Saquan Barkley: Potential surprise pick but I think it makes a lot of sense. The Broncos would be sitting pretty and prime trade candidates with Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, and Josh Allen still on the board. I chose Barkley because if Elway believes the level of play from Keenum can get them back into contention, then adding Barkley here can only help his QB and the team in general. Worst case scenario for Denver, Keenum flames out and they're in a similar position again next year, in which case they could then make a move for a QB and that Rookie would have potentially 2 veteran pass catchers and a potentially elite RB (Barkley) to lean on.

Bradley Chubb: Indy may have been hoping for Barkley to fall to them here, but take Chubb as a consolation prize. Quenton Nelson could very well be the pick here with the idea that he can protect Luck and help to pen holes for Marlon Mack and another high round rookie RB, maybe a Guice or Michel with a high 2nd or a move back into the 1st. Instead they pick up their next version of Dwight Freeney/Robert Mathis.

Derwin James: Tampa Bay needs secondary help, and Denzel Ward could be the pick here, but I believe James is just as good of a prospect talent wise, and could potentially have a larger impact match-up wise in a defense, so I went with him here.

Quenton Nelson: The Bears #1 focus seems to be making life easier for Trubisky and to complete the offensive vision of Nagy. Nelson fits in perfectly and can be a tone setter that protects Trubisky like an older brother, along with making Howard and Cohen even more dangerous from the backfield. Fangio always seems to make Front Office's content with doing more with less defensively, this is another reason I go offense here when the Bears might be better off going LB or adding Secondary help.

Tremaine Edmunds: Forget that he plays at a position of need, while also being able to contribute at 2 other positions of needs. Forget that he is the #1 or #2 LB. Forget that his brothers both play and that 1 of them is a safety who may go day 2 (football genes). Forget his stats this year and his 2nd on the team in tackles with 18.5 tfl's and 4.5 sacks as an 18 year old sophomore. Forget that he is considered laid back, quiet, and all about his business off the field. Forget that at 6'5" 250 with 4.53 40 speed he lays the wood on ball carriers. The only reason he will be the pick: He wears #49, the Football Gods have already set it in stone, it's meant to be....book it.

Denzel Ward: Highest rated CB on most boards meets a need here. Aggressive, plays bigger than his size, has a little fire to him. I could see Chucky really digging the player and the person.

More explanations will follow when I have more time.
Originally posted by Dillesq:
The thing is, Green Bay has ZERO secondary outside of Kevin King. It's a desperate need. I think they'd go CB

I think that would be more logical and a better choice, but there will be multiple DB's on the board in round 2. Some believe Ridley is a potential #1 WR, pair him with Adams and that could move Cobb back to the slot where he is most effective and also it could help to appease Aaron Rodgers for cutting his friend and favorite target in Nelson, while giving him 2 young WR's Adams ( long-term contract) and Ridley, to finish off his career with. Again though I agree with you, CB should be the pick and is obviously a major need for them.
GB needs corners and pass rushers. Plenty of good corners to be had on day 2. Pass rush not so much. Pass rush will make the secondary play better as well.

Post a Mock scenario of your version, I plan on posting multiple on here just to play with different scenarios.. I'll explain each pick further when I have more time. Key is a more natural pass rusher and could play up or down in Wade's scheme. I also believe that not only would a player like Key's off-field/character concerns not scare off a team like the Rams, they just made moves for Peters and Talib which makes me think they believe they can channel those personalities to on the field performance. Sweat isn't a bad choice by any means though and could very well be a better pick and a better player in the long run.
I already like the rest of your mock, mine would be mostly redundant :p. I think you're higher on the DT class that most on this forum, and I think the NFL would agree with you.
Josh Allen won't fall to 15.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Josh Allen won't fall to 15.

I agree, in a way. I believe #1, out of the top 4 QB's he is the most likely to drop due to his accuracy concerns and his lack of effectiveness against legitimate college defenses. 2nd I believe the Cardinals may have him targeted as a QB that they can actually get, Rosen and Darnold I am sure they have accepted are out of their reach. To sum up, I agree, that he probably won't fall to 15 but I believe He will go to the Cardinals in a similar situation to that of Mahomes and Watson, in that the Cardinals trade up a few spots to make sure they aren't leapfrogged by another team. The trades I made in this mock, to me were on the easier end, a trade like this gets way to complex because there really isn't anyway to know which GM would be willing to drop a few spots and hope to still get their guy, just to pick up an extra pick or two, so I just left it out, another thing is whichever team I would mock AZ trading with, I would have most likely mocked them picking the same prospect.

I already like the rest of your mock, mine would be mostly redundant :p. I think you're higher on the DT class that most on this forum, and I think the NFL would agree with you.

Appreciate it, I didn't mean it in a negative way. This draft is ripe for so many different trade possibilities and scenarios, I just thought it would be a fun exercise for people to post different scenarios that they think might happen in the 1st round. Lastly, teams seem to be always looking for a run stuffer who can take on double teams that also has pass rushing potential, and there are a few of them in this class, with tape and stats to back it up.
Share 49ersWebzone