LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 133 users in the forums

NYniner85 post-combine/free agency 2018 mock

Originally posted by NCommand:
You guys are the draft experts but I got the pro personnel and teams needs covered.

Harold Landry EDGE - Love it. Saleh can go "big" on early downs with Armstead and let this kid just rush on 3rd downs OR in rotation on all 3 downs with Attaochu and Marsh.
Carlton Davis CB - Makes perfect sense to start learning from Sherman now.
Austin Corbett OG - Scheme-fit, massive need.
Royce Freeman RB - Upgraded over Breida.
Marcell Ateman WR - Badly need a ZWR-in-training (behind Garcon) and instant RZ threat.
Tegray Scales ILB - Really need a push starter with upside.
Tyler Conklin TE - Upgrade over Paulsen.
Siran Neal SS/CB - Depth at FS.
Joel Iyiegbuniwe ILB - Depth.
Greg Senat OT - Depth.

Overall, you hit the biggest needs and found key role players. Criticisms would include not grabbing a high-quality T to start grooming now behind Staley, maybe another G and a bruiser inside running RB. Well done.

Thanks man! Yeah I just don't see the high-quality OT in this draft end of the day, can't draft what isn't there.

It's getting harder and harder to find those "pro-ready" OTs I think they need to find certain traits that they like and coach them up (which can take some time) it also makes the OL coach that much more important.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 21, 2018 at 7:03 AM ]
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Yeah I can tell you love Landry, I like him too and hope you're right bc all we want is the best for the team, as for Skai Moore and Genard Avery I've been watching some film on them and I agree they are tough, like I said this ILB class might be the deepest in yrs..gottta watch Thomas tho, I kno he was a top recruit I just don't kno what he failed at..on and off the field..

yeah Landry for sure a guy I like (since last yr). I think his skill set is ideal for this system and fits the mold of the EDGE players this staff is bringing in.

I think Thomas just looks lazy and hasn't played to his potential. Football character is big with Lynch/Shanahan/Peters so that's something that will have to be looked at if they bring him in for a visit.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
yeah Landry for sure a guy I like (since last yr). I think his skill set is ideal for this system and fits the mold of the EDGE players this staff is bringing in.

I think Thomas just looks lazy and hasn't played to his potential. Football character is big with Lynch/Shanahan/Peters so that's something that will have to be looked at if they bring him in for a visit.

I really don't know if they'll bring any questions character guys in but boy I'd love it if they took a flyer on Callaway in the 5th or so. Doubt it tho.

I'm still on the Hercules Motha-effa train as well in later rounds.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I was joking NY. I know you live for this stuff, so I was just giving you a hard time.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I was joking NY. I know you live for this stuff, so I was just giving you a hard time.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Thanks man! Yeah I just don't see the high-quality OT in this draft end of the day, can't draft what isn't there.

It's getting harder and harder to find those "pro-ready" OTs I think they need to find certain traits that they like and coach them up (which can take some time) it also makes the OL coach that much more important.

I'm with you...even a T in the first round, I'd still feel better sitting him for a year at least. They just aren't pro ready. Asks this is an extremely poor T class from all I'm hearing.
Dont want no part of Freeman he's been abused and way over used in college rather double down on on a big WR or use tha pick for a better safety or linebacker...
We're lock-step on a lot of this stuff. I'd also go Landry-Corbett early, and I want Tegray Scales in the 4th (dude can RUN). I like Davis (he'd be a mini-Sherm, from all accounts, including his practice demeanor), but I'm not sure we'd pull the Bills 2nd to move down 3 slots near the middle of the first, and I'd rather solidify guard than CB ath that point. I like a lot of CBs. I like Neal a lot, too. Lots of room to develop and polish.

I like Brett Toth a lot as a 7th/UDFA OT. Great movement skills, long levers, but he needs to learn how to pass block, and he'll have to serve his 2-yr military commitment before playing (dumb policy change by Trump admin), but that's around the time that the team would be looking hard at replacing Staley.
I'm with you...even a T in the first round, I'd still feel better sitting him for a year at least. They just aren't pro ready. Asks this is an extremely poor T class from all I'm hearing.

Kolton Miller is going to be an absolute beast.

You'd have to go all the way back to Jonathan Ogden in 1996 to find an all-around testing performance by an O-lineman that was on par with Miller 
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
We're lock-step on a lot of this stuff. I'd also go Landry-Corbett early, and I want Tegray Scales in the 4th (dude can RUN). I like Davis (he'd be a mini-Sherm, from all accounts, including his practice demeanor), but I'm not sure we'd pull the Bills 2nd to move down 3 slots near the middle of the first, and I'd rather solidify guard than CB ath that point. I like a lot of CBs. I like Neal a lot, too. Lots of room to develop and polish.

I like Brett Toth a lot as a 7th/UDFA OT. Great movement skills, long levers, but he needs to learn how to pass block, and he'll have to serve his 2-yr military commitment before playing (dumb policy change by Trump admin), but that's around the time that the team would be looking hard at replacing Staley.

We'd be getting the Bills 3rd (65th pick) and a 3rd in 2019 if a QB is there which who knows they might want to jump the Phins and for two 3rds I think that's pretty cheap.

as far a OG over CB it would depend on who's the board...we're talking about a difference in 6 picks. Yeah I'd be down to bring on Toth as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

You guys are the draft experts but I got the pro personnel and teams needs covered.

Harold Landry EDGE - Love it. Saleh can go "big" on early downs with Armstead and let this kid just rush on 3rd downs OR in rotation on all 3 downs with Attaochu and Marsh.
Carlton Davis CB - Makes perfect sense to start learning from Sherman now.
Austin Corbett OG - Scheme-fit, massive need.
Royce Freeman RB - Upgraded over Breida.
Marcell Ateman WR - Badly need a ZWR-in-training (behind Garcon) and instant RZ threat.
Tegray Scales ILB - Really need a push starter with upside.
Tyler Conklin TE - Upgrade over Paulsen.
Siran Neal SS/CB - Depth at FS.
Joel Iyiegbuniwe ILB - Depth.
Greg Senat OT - Depth.

Overall, you hit the biggest needs and found key role players. Criticisms would include not grabbing a high-quality T to start grooming now behind Staley, maybe another G and a bruiser inside running RB. Well done.

I agree with nearly all of what NC said here....and would be very happy to have this mock come to fruition.
Looking more closely at this mock though, I don't see Carlton Davis still there at 59 and I don't like Scales as a pro because of his short arms (Joel Iyiegbuniwe might be a better prospect in fact). Also, Landry is supposedly poor against the run so picking him even at 14 might be a reach. That stated, I love the Corbett and Freeman picks and if the team can get Davis too, then we happy!

Cheers!
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
I agree with nearly all of what NC said here....and would be very happy to have this mock come to fruition.
Looking more closely at this mock though, I don't see Carlton Davis still there at 59 and I don't like Scales as a pro because of his short arms (Joel Iyiegbuniwe might be a better prospect in fact). Also, Landry is supposedly poor against the run so picking him even at 14 might be a reach. That stated, I love the Corbett and Freeman picks and if the team can get Davis too, then we happy!

Cheers!

It's hard to have draft slots for these guys this yr (big boards are all over the place this yr) for example I usually use CBS' big board BUT this yr they have Davis as the 102nd overall prospect. I don't think he goes that late, so I had him as the 59th overall guy to us.

When it comes to ILB I don't really care about arm length. I'm all about instincts.

thanks for the feedback
Nice mock. My first 5 picks are exactly the same except I would probably take another guard than Corbett. Maybe a tackle instead but otherwise great job
Can't go wrong with Landry and Davis 1-2 this year.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 23, 2018 at 6:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Imjacksmirkinrevenge:
Nice mock. My first 5 picks are exactly the same except I would probably take another guard than Corbett. Maybe a tackle instead but otherwise great job

Thanks man
Share 49ersWebzone