LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

The "Aggressively Prudent" Mock Plan - Post Combine, Pre FA

• GEEK
  • Veteran
The Aggressively Prudent Mock Plan -

Notes:
- Barrows, Maiocco, and others have stated don't expect big bang signings from the 49ers this offseason. We are still in rebuilding mode.
- Albert Breer wrote a great article articulating how teams looking for mid-tier signings fare far better than the big bang signings.
- We will look to trade down, but won't be as active as last year's draft.

Free Agent Signings -

Mid-Tier - Reshaan Melvin (CB, IND); Chris Hubbard (T/G, PIT); Avery Williamson (LB, TEN); Donte Moncrief (WR, IND)

*Melvin is a good short-term stop gap as a starter at CB.. Hubbard was one of the top OL performers for the Steelers at RT, and could start at RG in 2018 and replace Brown in 2019. Williamson is an ideal MIKE for our scheme. Moncrief is a buy low signing similar to Goodwin last year.

Value-Tier - DeShawn Shead (DB, SEA); Brock Coyle (LB, SF); Trent Murphy (DE, WAS); Frank Gore (RB, IND); Corey Nelson (LB, DEN)
*Shead has ties with Saleh like Sherman. Coyle is resigned once we know he's healthy. Murphy is a buy low pass rusher. The Gore signing will stir up some noise on this thread. He'd be a great mentor to Breida and Williams. We'll still look for a RB in the draft.

NFL Draft -

TRADE: 49ers trade 1st and 2nd (via NO) for Dolphins 1st and 2nd round picks. Dolphins leapfrog Raiders to select T. Edwards - LB.

R1: Harold Landry - SAM/LEO - Boston College (via MIA) | Pass rusher is our greatest need and Landry is the ideal prospect that fits in the Bruce Irvin/Vic Beasley skillset. Landry is mocked anywhere from 14 to 25, so it's a bit early for him. However, I think his stock is higher now due to a successful combine, concerns about R. Smith's health, and Davenport's rawness due to inferior competition. This is a BPA meets need selection.

R2: D.J. Moore - WR - Maryland (via MIA) | A speedy receiver with good size, hands, and wiggle to get bonus yards after the catch. Smooth and polished, Moore also offers upside as a punt returner. With Taylor exclusive in the slot and Garcon being flex at both outside and slot, the trio of Moore, Goodwin, and Moncrief offers great upside for the outside WR positions.

TRADE: 49ers trade 3rd round pick (via CHI) and 7th round pick for Chargers 3rd and 4th round selections. Chargers trade up to leapfrog Broncos to snag DL.

R3: Quenton Meeks - CB - Stanford | The 49ers select a >6 ft, 200 lb corner that excels in press coverages? NOOOOOOO. Meeks is one of the best scheme fit for our defensive style and will learn the ropes behind Sherman and Witherspoon. Offers upside on ST coverages as well.

R3: Mason Cole - OL - Michigan (via LAC) | Smart and physical middle anchor that offers competition as the starter at C but also upside at T and G. He'll learn the ropes in year 1 behind Kilgore as he goes through NFL conditioning, but he could be a strong starter for us starting in 2019.

R4: Will Richardson - OT - NC State (via LAC) | There's a lot of upside with Richardson's game - he's got the size, arm length, and technique to be a solid starter in the ZBS. However, he's had some off-field issues that surfaced over the past couple of years. When you get into the mid-rounds, you'll start encountering these red flags. However, I think there's enough upside to develop him as a potential LT starter once Staley retires.

R4: Quin Blanding - S - Virginia (via PIT) | 4 year starter that projects well as a strong safety in our scheme. He's been super lucky to be healthy for the majority of his college career, which is a plus for our team. Offers upside on ST duties as well.

R5: Jordan Akins - TE - UCF (via NYJ) | A nice 2nd tier move TE. Great burst after the catch and wiggle to create some broken tackles. Biggest weakness is run blocking, which is coachable.

R6: Justin Jackson - RB - Northwestern | When you watch Jackson, he reminds me a blend of Le'veon Bell and Frank Gore with his effortless patience finding the running lanes. He doesn't have exceptional burst, but he's demonstrated ability to pass protect, hold onto the football, and offers some upside as a ST gunner. Competes with Mostert for that #4 RB spot on the roster.

R7: Davin Bellamy - EDGE - Georgia (via KC) | Developmental prospect that will compete with Pita for a role on D.

Depth Chart -

QB: Garoppolo/Beathard
RB: Gore*/Breida/Williams/Jackson*
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Akins*/Celek

WR: Garcon/Moncrief*
WR: Goodwin/Moore*
WR: Taylor

LT: Staley/Richardson*
LG: Garnett/Tomlinson
C: Kilgore/Cole*
RG: Hubbard*
RT: Brown/Gilliam

RE: Thomas/Blair
NT: Mitchell/Day/Jones
DT: Buckner/Armstead

SLB: Landry*/Harold
MLB: Williamson*/Coyle
WLB: Foster/Smith
LEO: Murphy*/Marsh/Dumervil

CB: Sherman*/Meeks*
CB: Witherspoon/Shead*/Mabin
NB: Williams
FS: Ward/Colbert
SS: Tartt/Blanding*

ST: Gould, Pinion, Nelson
[ Edited by GEEK on Mar 9, 2018 at 11:44 AM ]
Stop reading after u have us signing Dick Sherman
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Stop reading after u have us signing Dick Sherman

Yeah after second thought, swap Sherman for Rashaan Melvin instead.
Originally posted by GEEK:
The Aggressively Prudent Mock Plan -

Notes:
- Barrows, Maiocco, and others have stated don't expect big bang signings from the 49ers this offseason. We are still in rebuilding mode.
- Albert Breer wrote a great article articulating how teams looking for mid-tier signings fare far better than the big bang signings.
- We will look to trade down, but won't be as active as last year's draft.

Free Agent Signings -

Mid-Tier - Reshaan Melvin (CB, IND); Chris Hubbard (T/G, PIT); Avery Williamson (LB, TEN); Donte Moncrief (WR, IND)

*Melvin is a good short-term stop gap as a starter at CB.. Hubbard was one of the top OL performers for the Steelers at RT, and could start at RG in 2018 and replace Brown in 2019. Williamson is an ideal MIKE for our scheme. Moncrief is a buy low signing similar to Goodwin last year.

Value-Tier - DeShawn Shead (DB, SEA); Brock Coyle (LB, SF); Trent Murphy (DE, WAS); Frank Gore (RB, IND); Corey Nelson (LB, DEN)
*Shead has ties with Saleh like Sherman. Coyle is resigned once we know he's healthy. Murphy is a buy low pass rusher. The Gore signing will stir up some noise on this thread. He'd be a great mentor to Breida and Williams. We'll still look for a RB in the draft.

NFL Draft -

TRADE: 49ers trade 1st and 2nd (via NO) for Dolphins 1st and 2nd round picks. Dolphins leapfrog Raiders to select T. Edwards - LB.

R1: Harold Landry - SAM/LEO - Boston College (via MIA) | Pass rusher is our greatest need and Landry is the ideal prospect that fits in the Bruce Irvin/Vic Beasley skillset. Landry is mocked anywhere from 14 to 25, so it's a bit early for him. However, I think his stock is higher now due to a successful combine, concerns about R. Smith's health, and Davenport's rawness due to inferior competition. This is a BPA meets need selection.

R2: D.J. Moore - WR - Maryland (via MIA) | A speedy receiver with good size, hands, and wiggle to get bonus yards after the catch. Smooth and polished, Moore also offers upside as a punt returner. With Taylor exclusive in the slot and Garcon being flex at both outside and slot, the trio of Moore, Goodwin, and Moncrief offers great upside for the outside WR positions.

TRADE: 49ers trade 3rd round pick (via CHI) and 7th round pick for Chargers 3rd and 4th round selections. Chargers trade up to leapfrog Broncos to snag DL.

R3: Quenton Meeks - CB - Stanford | The 49ers select a >6 ft, 200 lb corner that excels in press coverages? NOOOOOOO. Meeks is one of the best scheme fit for our defensive style and will learn the ropes behind Sherman and Witherspoon. Offers upside on ST coverages as well.

R3: Mason Cole - OL - Michigan (via LAC) | Smart and physical middle anchor that offers competition as the starter at C but also upside at T and G. He'll learn the ropes in year 1 behind Kilgore as he goes through NFL conditioning, but he could be a strong starter for us starting in 2019.

R4: Will Richardson - OT - NC State (via LAC) | There's a lot of upside with Richardson's game - he's got the size, arm length, and technique to be a solid starter in the ZBS. However, he's had some off-field issues that surfaced over the past couple of years. When you get into the mid-rounds, you'll start encountering these red flags. However, I think there's enough upside to develop him as a potential LT starter once Staley retires.

R4: Quin Blanding - S - Virginia (via PIT) | 4 year starter that projects well as a strong safety in our scheme. He's been super lucky to be healthy for the majority of his college career, which is a plus for our team. Offers upside on ST duties as well.

R5: Jordan Akins - TE - UCF (via NYJ) | A nice 2nd tier move TE. Great burst after the catch and wiggle to create some broken tackles. Biggest weakness is run blocking, which is coachable.

R6: Justin Jackson - RB - Northwestern | When you watch Jackson, he reminds me a blend of Le'veon Bell and Frank Gore with his effortless patience finding the running lanes. He doesn't have exceptional burst, but he's demonstrated ability to pass protect, hold onto the football, and offers some upside as a ST gunner. Competes with Mostert for that #4 RB spot on the roster.

R7: Davin Bellamy - EDGE - Georgia (via KC) | Developmental prospect that will compete with Pita for a role on D.

Depth Chart -

QB: Garoppolo/Beathard
RB: Gore*/Breida/Williams/Jackson*
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Akins*/Celek

WR: Garcon/Moncrief*
WR: Goodwin/Moore*
WR: Taylor

LT: Staley/Richardson*
LG: Garnett/Tomlinson
C: Kilgore/Cole*
RG: Hubbard*
RT: Brown/Gilliam

RE: Thomas/Blair
NT: Mitchell/Day/Jones
DT: Buckner/Armstead

SLB: Landry*/Harold
MLB: Williamson*/Coyle
WLB: Foster/Smith
LEO: Murphy*/Marsh/Dumervil

CB: Sherman*/Meeks*
CB: Witherspoon/Shead*/Mabin
NB: Williams
FS: Ward/Colbert
SS: Tartt/Blanding*

ST: Gould, Pinion, Nelson

There's some good stuff in here. Most notably for me if the signing of Melvin and Williamson plus drafting Landry.

But the rest leaves alot to be desired. I'm not really sure what to make of our WR situation but I dont think we need to spend solid FA money and a 2nd round pick on a position where weve now spent 60+ million the past 2 off-seasons on our guys. But that might be me just not that excited about either of those players. If it were St Brown in the 2nd, I may have a different tune.

I also think our biggest position to address this offseason is to the OLine. You have Hubbard and Cole but that doesn't quite do enough for me either.

Finally, I love Franky a bunch but I can't see a way in which he fits this Shanahan offense in his old age. Find a young RB with burst.
Share 49ersWebzone