There are 170 users in the forums

Idaho's post combine pre FA draft

Quick and dirty. Comments and criticism always welcome and appreciated.

Notable cuts-
Jimmie Ward

Notable FA Signings-

Trumaine Johnson CB
Allen Robinson WR
Pierre Desir CB
Nigel Bradham LB
Paul Poszluzny LB

*I have one trade, and its the 49ers moving into the top of the second with a willing trade partner, giving up Their #59, a 2019 pick(whatever value makes up the difference), and our #128 4th round pick.

1. #9- Derwin James S

2. *trade to top/middle of the second- Isaiah Wynn OL

3. #70- Hercules Mata'afa DL

3b. #74-Mark Walton RB

5. #143- Adam Breneman TE

6. #184 Coleman Shelton C

7. #227 Troy Apke ST

7. #240 Cody O' Connell OL
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Mar 8, 2018 at 2:23 AM ]
Derwin James will be gone by our pick IMO, I'm guessing Tampa Bay. CBS currently has D. James as the #2 ranked prospect overall. That would be one hell of an off-season though (I counted 5/6 new starters), I especially like the depth at linebacker and CB it would provide. One change I would make is Dorance Armstrong for Hercules if both were available, I think he would make a better LEO.
[ Edited by JimmyJesus on Mar 7, 2018 at 11:20 PM ]
Originally posted by JimmyJesus:
Derwin James will be gone by our pick IMO, I'm guessing Tampa Bay. CBS currently has D. James as the #2 ranked prospect overall. That would be one hell of an off-season though, I especially like the depth at linebacker and CB it would provide. One change I would make is Dorance Armstrong for Hercules if both were available, I think he would make a better LEO.

I tend to agree on James. Hopeful thinking that he falls to us. I do think a top 5 talent will fall to us at 9 though, so im super excited for the potential, and really hope we go BPA. We are in year two into a rebuild, and the rebuild has happened wayyy faster than expectations. I think we still have the luxury of going BPA. If we take Davenport and reach because of need ill vomit.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Safety is the least of our needs. Tarrt is great and so is Colbert.
Originally posted by fan49:

Besides them, who do we have?

Ward? Will they keep him with that contract? Reid is likely to walk.

So who do we have beyond the two mentioned above?

Also, Tartt is on one year left of his contract.

S is a bigger need than people admit.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like it. I'm a big fan of get the BPA if you're picking top 10 especially. Get who you feel will be a superstar player. I'd be a little concerned about the pass rush but if Mata'afa can do something and Armstead improves in his role at LEO I think we are looking real good.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I like it. I'm a big fan of get the BPA if you're picking top 10 especially. Get who you feel will be a superstar player. I'd be a little concerned about the pass rush but if Mata'afa can do something and Armstead improves in his role at LEO I think we are looking real good.

I agree, our weakest link will be the pass rush. However, its pretty hard to address every need in two off seasons on the type of rebuild we just went through.

Im just not happy with any of these guys that will be there at 9. If we trade back, i could see snagging one of the rush guys later in the first, but not at 9. No one there worth that pick.

Look to continue to develop the talent we have on the roster for one more year with the addition of Hercules, and look to possibly address the rush next off season, once we have one more year in the system to fully evaluate what we have on the DL currently. Adding a top flight CB and some LB help will go a long way to helping the DL.
Pass on drafting a safety we don't need (though if we really needed one, he's the one I'd grab). Also Walton is not what we need, he's way too small. We already have a small back in Brieda, who is much quicker and faster than Walton. We need a back with some size if Hyde leaves via free agency. Not bad overall, though I like Dorrance more than Hercules.

You......are correct, sir.

Originally posted by longterm9erfan:

You......are correct, sir.

So we are going to run with two S?

No way in hell they pay Ward the second highest contract on the team. He will be cut.

I'm okay with James. Love Wynn but not really feeling the rest of the draft.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

So you're suggesting using a top ten pick on a position because we don't have depth?

When people keep saying safety isn't a big need I just want to scream right through the computer. Anyone reading this please just look 1 year into the future. Tartt is good but often hurt. Do we keep him after next year? Colbert had a good rookie season. We actually started him out at CB. We moved him to safety because of the injuries, etc... I like Reid on the team but he is also always hurt and we were trying to find the right fit for him last year. He is more than likely gone this year...

Safety sounds like a pretty big need to me. Robert Saleh comes from Jacksonville. I believe we are building that Jacksonville/Seattle type defense. The Jags had Church and Gibson to go along with a bunch of studs at CB. They still drafted Myles Jack in the 1st round last year. He eventually landed at LB but they used him at safety as well and all over the D to cover RB's and TE's, etc...

Derwin James is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any of our safeties. I think he's better than J Adam and he got drafted 6th last year. We can't overlook the value of a great center fielder.

If teams are smart, James should be off the board before the 9th pick. But the great thing about this year is that there's a good chance for 4 QB's to be picked before us. That means a top 5 talent automatically falls to us. There's Chubb, Barkley, James, Nelson and Minkah. That's not counting to 2 LB's or any wr or any OT that might make some noise with a good pro day.

And I also like your mock and FA's. I do think we might be a real possibility for Dion Lewis in FA. Jimmy and him know each other and he would fit the offense. I think Johnson is a lock and and like the LB additions.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

So you're suggesting using a top ten pick on a position because we don't have depth?

Im suggesting Derwin James because he would be an upgrade over both Tartt and Colbert, and Tartt has one year left.

He would also likely be BPA if there at 9

Derwin James would Upgrade the S position, and the defense as a whole, Period. He could replace Ward in the nickle, play either S spots, and also IMO could play CB, although i would keep him at S.

If we dont see Tartt extended prior to the draft, IMO it signals that the team may be trying to replace him.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

When people keep saying safety isn't a big need I just want to scream right through the computer. Anyone reading this please just look 1 year into the future. Tartt is good but often hurt. Do we keep him after next year? Colbert had a good rookie season. We actually started him out at CB. We moved him to safety because of the injuries, etc... I like Reid on the team but he is also always hurt and we were trying to find the right fit for him last year. He is more than likely gone this year...

Safety sounds like a pretty big need to me. Robert Saleh comes from Jacksonville. I believe we are building that Jacksonville/Seattle type defense. The Jags had Church and Gibson to go along with a bunch of studs at CB. They still drafted Myles Jack in the 1st round last year. He eventually landed at LB but they used him at safety as well and all over the D to cover RB's and TE's, etc...

Derwin James is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any of our safeties. I think he's better than J Adam and he got drafted 6th last year. We can't overlook the value of a great center fielder.

If teams are smart, James should be off the board before the 9th pick. But the great thing about this year is that there's a good chance for 4 QB's to be picked before us. That means a top 5 talent automatically falls to us. There's Chubb, Barkley, James, Nelson and Minkah. That's not counting to 2 LB's or any wr or any OT that might make some noise with a good pro day.

And I also like your mock and FA's. I do think we might be a real possibility for Dion Lewis in FA. Jimmy and him know each other and he would fit the offense. I think Johnson is a lock and and like the LB additions.

I agree pretty much with all of this.

Im not a huge fan of signing Dion Lewis however, as he will be on the backend of 28, and has a horrible injury history. Combine that with the fact that its an extremely deep RB class, and i think there will be stud RB to be had in round three that falls simply because of the depth at the position in this draft..
Share 49ersWebzone