There are 227 users in the forums

Coyote Mock Off-Season and Draft

****UPDATED 3/10****
Revisions made post Sherman and Goodwin singing/extensions.

Extensions:
Trent Brown---4 Years/39,000,000 (18 Guaranteed): I was skeptical of Brown fitting in our wide open offenses these past 2 seasons but it's a good fit and it's time to lock him up for the long term before he can hit the open market. Gives us good stable tackle play for the next couple of seasons while we look to find Staley's heir apparent. Contract is closely based off of Ricky Wagner's from 2017.

Jaquiski Tartt---4 Years/25,000,000 (10 guaranteed): Great fit for this defense and i like his versatility to play around the field. Another guy set to become a free agent in 2019 that we need to look to extend to keep that young core around.

Re-signs:
Brandon Fusco---3 Years/10,500,000 (4 guaranteed): We need to try and keep Fusco around as it will be hard to try and replace 2 interior OGs this off-season, let alone just LG. Fusco had a pretty good year for us and i think if we can keep some continuity up front for another year---that would help the unit a ton.

Free Agent Signings: I'm not personally a huge believer in spending big in free agency but i think we have an opportunity to grab one key playmaker for this offense
Allen Robinson---4 Years/49,500,000 (19 guaranteed) I just wanted to note that I'd like to see us go after Robinson but I find it extremely unlikely with the money we've thrown at the position lately. Would provide us with that guy who can pull coverages to his side and create space downfield and underneath for our other guys. Makes a ton of sense but financially speaking, this would be a ton of spending in one off-season (even if we do have the money).

Deshawn Shead---2 Years/8,000,000 (3 guaranteed): Seahawks want to retain him coming off an ACL injury (i promise we aren't going back to the Baalke injury days). He's a versatile player and would be good talented insurance to put behind Spoon and Sherman with the potential to throw him at safety as well.

Jerick Mckinnon---3 Years/17,500,000 (9 guaranteed): In my scenario, i see us letting Hyde move on. Hyde is a very talented runner but is not the perfect fit for this outside zone scheme. Mckinnon i believe would be a fantastic stylistic fit in this offense. I still see us grabbing a physical alternative in the draft but can see Mckinnon handling 18-22 touches a game. Didn't see a ton of use in Minnesota and his legs are ready for more workload.

Devon Kennard---3 Years/13,000,000 (5 guaranteed): Eli Harold is just not naturally meant to fit that SAM role, Kennard is a guy who has more balance to his game but started flashing real pass rush ability last season. He's been saying he'd like to come back to NYG as they are moving to a 3-4 defense and would like to attack the quarterback more but I'm not sure that's the best outlook for his skillset.

Brian Schwenke---1 Year/ 2,800,000 (750k guaranteed): Schwenke is a guy I've always liked and has always been known for his incredible athletic gifts for his size. I think he could push Kilgore in camp while we potentially bring in a young guy in the draft.

Beau Allen---2 Years/6,000,000 (3 guaranteed): A real grizzly bear in the middle, would be a nice gap plugger to help improve our run defense. Mostly going to be a 2 down NT but should be a very useful starter/rotational piece for us.

Terrence Brooks---2 Years/5,000,000 (1.5 guaranteed): Brooks was someone i really liked coming out and things never quite came around and was banged up a bit in Baltimore. Had some nice success in NYJ last year and i think he's earned a starter shot. Will be brought in to compete but should be a valuable rotational piece to our secondary.

Willie Young---2 Years/5,800,000 (2 guaranteed): Prior to last year with the Triceps injury, Young was a nice consistent edge rusher in Chicago. He's now 32 so is likely looking to grab some cash and playing time. Would upgrade our depth at LEO. Wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Marcus Smith as well.

DRAFT: Projected rounds here are a bit tough, could be way off on a few of these guys.

1.9--Tremaine Edmunds LB VaTech: Still a baby but boy do i like his game a lot. His a real prototype for the type of LB's that thrive in these defenses. Length, athletic, and surprisingly relentless/physical player. My issue with him (and it's the difference with him and Roquan) is his lack of awareness in coverage---pretty raw in that department at the moment but I'd be surprised if he doesn't turn into a perennial Pro Bowl player, big upside.

2.3 TRADE F/Cle (3.6 + 4.28 + 18'3rd)--- Isaiah Wynn G Georgia: One of my favorite players in this class. He's played several spots for Georgia but LT most recently and he has fantastic feet and balance. I think he can plug and play right away at LG and put this line together. Could also bump inside to Center if we move on from Kilgore in a year.

2.27---Uchenna Nwosu LB USC: I really like what Nwosu can be as a SAM backer. He can sit behind Kennard in my scenario for a year, get a little bigger and stronger at the point of attack and i think there is a ton of ability here. Rangy and smooth athlete that can do a little bit of everything. Just gets engulfed by size right now.

3.22 TRADE (3.10 for 3.22 + 4.22---Jessie Bates III FS Wake: Rangy fluid safety, ideal replacement as i don't see us retaining Jimmie Ward. Between him and Eric Reids brother Justin, I'd take whichever one of these two guys are available at this point.

4.22--- Duke Ejiofer DE Wake: Large edge rusher with great production in college. I like the way he plays the run as well so he could become an every down player. Either way i see a good depth piece that will push Marsh and Young.

5.6---John Kelly II RB Tennessee: One of my favorite RB prospects of the year. I actually have him as a Day 2 pick but from most professionals on this, it looks like he will be available here in early-mid day 3. He's a absolute bully with the ball in his hand and while there weren't a ton of holes available last season in Rocky Top, he played hard week in and out. Also does some of his best work running on the perimeter and setting up blocks. He's the guy I'd like to pair with Mckinnon.

6.10---Shaun Dion Hamilton WLB Bama: Not really sure where he will end up getting drafted. Was well on his way to having a great year before an injury stopped that. That injury history i believe drops him to this point but it could pay off big if he can keep his body in one piece and perhaps provide us some insurance with Reubs headaches.

7.9---Skyler Phillips G/C Idaho St: An absolute bully in the run game. I think he's going to take some time to adjust to the increased level of play so a nice Practice Squad candidate that should actually have upside to be a starter down the road.

7.22---Cam Serigne TE Wake: He's a unique player, probably more in that H-Back or FLEX TE role. Either way i like his ability to catch the ball and while he's not a physical blocker, he should be able to develop into a better zone positional blocker.
[ Edited by coyote94 on Mar 10, 2018 at 6:42 PM ]
Pretty solid. I'd keep Fusco around for back up purposes only. I don't see that big of a challenge replacing 2 guards. We already have Mckinnon's skillset on the roster in Brieda. Not sure hed sign for less than Juice either. But i could live with that move. I'd rather have Moncrief over Richardson. I guess the main issue overall is that i don't see any attempt to upgrade our pass rush.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Pretty solid. I'd keep Fusco around for back up purposes only. I don't see that big of a challenge replacing 2 guards. We already have Mckinnon's skillset on the roster in Brieda. Not sure hed sign for less than Juice either. But i could live with that move. I'd rather have Moncrief over Richardson. I guess the main issue overall is that i don't see any attempt to upgrade our pass rush.

Solid points, Pass Rush was the one thing I'd battled a bit especially in the draft. Fact is now that Ansah is off the market, Demarcus Lawrence is the guy you would want but I just don't see us dropping big coin on multiple guys this off-season---especially after throwing money at Jimmy G this off-season. I could see us bringing in another vet on a 1 year deal--probably a cap casualty cut in the summer. Marcus Smith is a guy I'd like to kick the tires on but he's not really going to be a full time End either but can get after the QB.

I put Mckinnon above the outrageous contract Latavius Murray got last year, it may be a little light but you don't see a ton of big FA contracts going to RB's honestly. Especially one that hasn't really broken out exactly. But point taken.

Edit: I'd thought also to replace Nwosu with Josh Sweat but a more pure edge rusher but he carries more risk. If he can stay healthy and learn to explode on the snap, watch out.
[ Edited by coyote94 on Mar 4, 2018 at 9:27 PM ]
Valid points. Everything can't be solved in one off season. Some of the guys we drafted in the d line have to step up.
Couple of quick revisions with the Sherman signing.
Share 49ersWebzone