LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

San Francisco 49ers - All-Time 53

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think I would align mine this way...but I've changed my mind often.

QB - Montana
RB - Craig
FB - Perry
TE - Davis
WR - Rice
WR - Owens
LT - Staley
LG - McIntyre
C - Blue
RG - Cross
RT - St. Clair

DE - Dean
DT - Young
DE - Hardman
LB - Haley
LB - Willis
LB - Bowman
LB - Wilcox
CB - Johnson
CB - Wright
FS - Lott
SS - Williamson

K - Nedney
P - Lee
KR - Woodson
PR - Taylor

That would be one heck of a team to stop. The defense alone...WHEW!
[ Edited by ArmchairQB on Jan 30, 2014 at 5:33 AM ]
I always like these kinds of discussions, but you get into trouble with some of the line positions if you go back too far. Leo Nomellini, for example, was a dominating defensive lineman in his day, but he was about 6-2, 260 lbs. He'd get pushed around by some of the offensive linemen on the list. Even if you look at the Niners O-line today - how could Nomellini possibly hold his ground against Mike Iupati who would be a few inches taller, outweigh him by 70 lbs and be much stronger on top of that. It just doesn't work.
Originally posted by crake49:
I always like these kinds of discussions, but you get into trouble with some of the line positions if you go back too far. Leo Nomellini, for example, was a dominating defensive lineman in his day, but he was about 6-2, 260 lbs. He'd get pushed around by some of the offensive linemen on the list. Even if you look at the Niners O-line today - how could Nomellini possibly hold his ground against Mike Iupati who would be a few inches taller, outweigh him by 70 lbs and be much stronger on top of that. It just doesn't work.

I've often wondered about the speed of the game in the past. What were the 40 times of historic players? Would they compete today?
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
I've often wondered about the speed of the game in the past. What were the 40 times of historic players? Would they compete today?

The game has gotten a lot faster. In the 60's for example, the fastest player in the league was Bob Hayes, an Olympic gold medalist in the 100. I read somewhere that Hayes ran the 60 yard dash in 5.29 seconds, so I'm sure he was at the 40 in less than 4.5 seconds, but these days, there are lots of players running at that speed. The Niners have a 6-3, 255 lb tight end who runs at that speed. And, the speed of the linebackers and lineman has really increased. There were literally no linebackers running at the speeds the Niners linebackers run at today. In fact, one of the reasons Walsh's WCO was so successful early on was that he was taking advantage of the average speed of ILB's who were there to plug the run and really couldn't cover passes. In a very real way, Walsh's WCO was what precipitated the onset of extremely quick linebackers, first with the pass rushing OLB's who were just getting up-field to blow up the timing of those plays and secondly with ILB's who had to start watching those runners coming out of the backfield for short passes.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
FIFTY THREE!!!!

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
FIFTY THREE!!!!

I so hope he can come back next year .
Originally posted by SportsFan:

My guess is that he starts the season on the PUP and is back in the starting lineup by the start of November. That gives him 10 months. Conservative estimates currently run 9-12 months.

My guess is that he starts the season on the PUP and is back in the starting lineup by the start of November. That gives him 10 months. Conservative estimates currently run 9-12 months.

My thought as well. Just sucks that had to happen to him. Seriously blows. I hate that stadium of theirs and their bull s**t fans and cheap ass team.
I know he was only a Niner for 1 season, but Deion Sanders belongs on this list.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
I know he was only a Niner for 1 season, but Deion Sanders belongs on this list.

I agree that he was awesome and took away half of the field for all opposing quarterbacks that season but I just never think of him as a 49er.

I am confused, you listed it was going to be a 3-4 defense. If this is the case, you need NT to plug up the middle, then the 3-4 DE's, there would be no DT's. Then you have OLB's 2 and 2 ilb.

The game has gotten a lot faster. In the 60's for example, the fastest player in the league was Bob Hayes, an Olympic gold medalist in the 100. I read somewhere that Hayes ran the 60 yard dash in 5.29 seconds, so I'm sure he was at the 40 in less than 4.5 seconds, but these days, there are lots of players running at that speed. The Niners have a 6-3, 255 lb tight end who runs at that speed. And, the speed of the linebackers and lineman has really increased. There were literally no linebackers running at the speeds the Niners linebackers run at today. In fact, one of the reasons Walsh's WCO was so successful early on was that he was taking advantage of the average speed of ILB's who were there to plug the run and really couldn't cover passes. In a very real way, Walsh's WCO was what precipitated the onset of extremely quick linebackers, first with the pass rushing OLB's who were just getting up-field to blow up the timing of those plays and secondly with ILB's who had to start watching those runners coming out of the backfield for short passes.

Evolution speeding up!!

Don't put a time line on it. He comes back when he comes back. 2014 2015 2016 doesn't matter. It will take as long as it takes.

But he will come back.

QB - Montana
RB - Craig
FB - Perry
TE - Davis
WR - Rice
WR - Owens
LT - Staley
LG - McIntyre
C - Blue
RG - Cross
RT - St. Clair

DE - Dean
DT - Young
DE - Hardman
LB - Haley
LB - Willis
LB - Bowman
LB - Wilcox
CB - Johnson
CB - Wright
FS - Lott
SS - Williamson

K - Nedney
P - Lee
KR - Woodson
PR - Taylor

No fair! It's supposed to be from the Walsh era or later! Of course we would put on Hardman, Wilcox, Hart, Johnson, etc, if we could go back that far!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

QB - Montana
RB - Craig
FB - Perry
TE - Davis
WR - Rice
WR - Owens
LT - Staley
LG - McIntyre
C - Blue
RG - Cross
RT - St. Clair

DE - Dean
DT - Young
DE - Hardman
LB - Haley
LB - Willis
LB - Bowman
LB - Wilcox
CB - Johnson
CB - Wright
FS - Lott
SS - Williamson

K - Nedney
P - Lee
KR - Woodson
PR - Taylor

No fair! It's supposed to be from the Walsh era or later! Of course we would put on Hardman, Wilcox, Hart, Johnson, etc, if we could go back that far!

This is an All-Time list. What would your team look like?
Share 49ersWebzone