LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

British discus thrower looking to play in NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett Okoye visited the #49ers yesterday & will visit the #Saints tomorrow, then he heads back to England to pick up his visa.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
You know what ? I am totally livid that we didn't even try out Havard Rugland to see what that YouTube clip was all about. The guy was just floating around waiting for a chance and today he finally gets signed by the Lions. If he turns out to be even just 80% of that clip, it would be an absolutely massive loss for the 9ers. I am just glad a least we took a look at this discus guy, it never hurts to checks things out.
Big black dude with a british accent. Don't think I've ever seen that before lol but respect for this guy i hope for the best for him.
Matt Maiocco made a great point, imagine what Tomsula could do with a kid with his physical talents and no bad habits!!! He would learn all the proper fundamentals right from the jump...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
There are a few of them. Remember Frank Bruno, the boxer ?
Originally posted by Rascal:
There are a few of them. Remember Frank Bruno, the boxer ?

there are loads, Jamaica is part of the commonwealth so many settled in the UK post war.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Matt Maiocco made a great point, imagine what Tomsula could do with a kid with his physical talents and no bad habits!!! He would learn all the proper fundamentals right from the jump...

This! Niners should use one of their 7th rd comp picks on this guy. I could see him being used as a pass-rushing DE in Nickel/Dime formations.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Holy smokes !! I just watched one of his interviews, this kid's head is well-screwed together to say the least. Apart from his athletic prowess, this guy is a brain box - did you know he got admitted into Oxford University to study Law ?! Unbelievable !! I studied in the UK and I know how hard it is to get into either Oxford or Cambridge. Wow !!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i guess he'd come in handy if the NFL decided to replace the football with a discus. Draft him in the 1st!
Michael Carter 49ers NT and Gold Metal shot put 1984. This guy kinda like Carter

He has never played American football at ANY level May be a natural athlete but seems like a total project for any team.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM ]

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Michael Carter 49ers NT and Gold Metal shot put 1984. This guy kinda like Carter

He has never played American football at ANY level May be a natural athlete but seems like a total project for any team.
Jeff Stover (49ers) was another shot putter who never played college football. Stephen Neal who was a college wrestling champ and never played college football played guard for the Pats.
Okoye ran a 4.7 forty for guy almost 300 lbs! I hope we draft him.
Share 49ersWebzone