LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

quarterback prospects in round 3 area

niners may need to look to potential competition for kaerpernick, any prospects to look for around round 3-4?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
EJ Manuel /thread. athletic QB, looks to be no where near his ceiling, still requires a lot of polishing and refinement of his skills but at minimum would be a very good back up.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I wouldn't necessarily say competition, but maybe challenge to be the #2 with Scott Tolzien. I think QB's that could possibly be in our range as of right now pre-Senior Bowl and pre-combine are Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Alex Carder, Mike Glennon and Adam Kennedy. Or we can wait and draft a REAL back up in Aaron Murray.
I say Matt Scott of Arizona or Collin Klein from KSU. Both are not highly regarded in draft terms, but could be valuable mobile backups.
I'd say competition, there's no reason CK should be handed the job. He's played well at times this year but really his overall body of work up to this point doesn't convince me that he should be the starter.

Landry Jones would be my pick, He's fallen down draft boards this year for whatever reason but he's still a great prospect who can make all the throws and played at the highest levels of college football.

Hell If Geno Smith or Matt Barkley experience a Rodgers like fall on draft day I wouldn't be opposed to stepping up to grab one of them. Only guy I'd hate to see is Colin Klein, I think he's a less talented version of Tim Tebow. Might make a decent TE.

But when your starting QB can't seem to even get the play off on time consistantly, to the point that you have to burn all your timeouts in the first few drives, that's not the sign of the position being a strength.
Who ever we get its going to have to be mobile. I don't see that in many draftees h this year. Not Klein either his arm it awful.
My late round sleeper QB is David Fales, SD State. He's not draftable right now, but I think he'll slide into the 6th-7th with solid workouts. Harbaugh originally recruited this kid in SD and ironically, he backed up Kaepernick at Nevada. Fales is a smart football player and extremely efficient. He's a Josh Johnson type of prospect that coul develop into a starter later in his career.

With so many picks, I expect Baalke to use them to trade up and get specific targets to fill the roster. I don't think we'll take a QB before the 5th unless a Harbaugh crush falls. A late round pick for our #3 QB makes a lot of sense.

Fales is my flavor o the week. Duke's Renfree is the guy I think Harbaugh really likes though. That pure speculation, of course, but I think he's really underrated. Renfree has a solid arm and great tough. He has a little but of wiggle as well, which seems like a must nowadays.
Not sure BUT I don't see us going QB in the 3rd. 5th maybe.
zac dysert of miami of ohio looked pretty good vs ohio state and the school did produce roethelisberger
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
I say Matt Scott of Arizona or Collin Klein from KSU. Both are not highly regarded in draft terms, but could be valuable mobile backups.

Colin Klein might not even get drafted dude...kid cant throw. He's worse than Tebow.

As for the other guys saying EJ Manuel...naaa

Originally posted by strickac:
My late round sleeper QB is David Fales, SD State. He's not draftable right now, but I think he'll slide into the 6th-7th with solid workouts. Harbaugh originally recruited this kid in SD and ironically, he backed up Kaepernick at Nevada. Fales is a smart football player and extremely efficient. He's a Josh Johnson type of prospect that coul develop into a starter later in his career.

With so many picks, I expect Baalke to use them to trade up and get specific targets to fill the roster. I don't think we'll take a QB before the 5th unless a Harbaugh crush falls. A late round pick for our #3 QB makes a lot of sense.

Fales is my flavor o the week. Duke's Renfree is the guy I think Harbaugh really likes though. That pure speculation, of course, but I think he's really underrated. Renfree has a solid arm and great tough. He has a little but of wiggle as well, which seems like a must nowadays.

I think you mean San Jose State. SD State has Katz I think
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not sure BUT I don't see us going QB in the 3rd. 5th maybe.

This. With Kaepernick and Tolzien, 49ers might take a flyer on a QB in the 5th round or later, wouldn't count on them doing anytime before them, the depth of talent in this draft at QB is pretty s**tty and they have many other needs.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I think you mean San Jose State. SD State has Katz I think

Yep, San Jose. I read Harbaugh recruited him and thought SD.
[ Edited by strickac on Dec 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM ]
EJ Manuel's stock has taken a bit of a hit as he was unable to lead FSU to a possible Title game and dropped 2 games along the way. But EJ should still be considered a late 1st round pick, and possibly earlier if a team needs a QB and fall in love with him. EJ has a very strong arm, great release, ideal size, and is very athletic and can run with the ball. I'd compare him to a more athletic Roethlisburger. The main knock on him by many is that he doesn't "take games over." Despite him having an epic performance against Clemson which was a huge game at that point of the season. I don't agree with the criticism, FSU runs a very balanced offense and it seems silly to think thats a drawback on the QB.

Another comparison could be EJ Manuel versus the previous Seminole QB Christian Ponder. Manuel has looked much better in college than Ponder and outplayed Ponder's career and Ponder went #12.

Another QB who is quickly becoming a major sleeper IMO is Zac Dysert of Miami (Ohio). Right now I'd expecet him to get taken in the 2nd with all the teams needing a QB. Dysertwill need some cleanup of his mechanics and adjustment to more pro-style schemes, but his natural playmaking ability, arm strength, accuracy, release. Some sites are ranking him as a late rounder and past the 2nd round, oh man what a steal he would be. People say Dysert played poorly against Ohio State and I dont know what they watched, I thought Dysert looked great but he was surrounded by an awful supporting cast. He had so many dropped balls that should have been caught by his recievers. He might be the most accurate QB in the draft, more than Geno Smith. Whats interesting about watching him is how great of a feel he has for mixing up his style of throw/release point to avoid pass rushers and get into tight windows. His athleticism is about the same as Alex Smith, can run a little bit but won't be doing any designed runs.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
EJ Manuel's stock has taken a bit of a hit as he was unable to lead FSU to a possible Title game and dropped 2 games along the way. But EJ should still be considered a late 1st round pick, and possibly earlier if a team needs a QB and fall in love with him. EJ has a very strong arm, great release, ideal size, and is very athletic and can run with the ball. I'd compare him to a more athletic Roethlisburger. The main knock on him by many is that he doesn't "take games over." Despite him having an epic performance against Clemson which was a huge game at that point of the season. I don't agree with the criticism, FSU runs a very balanced offense and it seems silly to think thats a drawback on the QB.

Another comparison could be EJ Manuel versus the previous Seminole QB Christian Ponder. Manuel has looked much better in college than Ponder and outplayed Ponder's career and Ponder went #12.

Another QB who is quickly becoming a major sleeper IMO is Zac Dysert of Miami (Ohio). Right now I'd expecet him to get taken in the 2nd with all the teams needing a QB. Dysertwill need some cleanup of his mechanics and adjustment to more pro-style schemes, but his natural playmaking ability, arm strength, accuracy, release. Some sites are ranking him as a late rounder and past the 2nd round, oh man what a steal he would be. People say Dysert played poorly against Ohio State and I dont know what they watched, I thought Dysert looked great but he was surrounded by an awful supporting cast. He had so many dropped balls that should have been caught by his recievers. He might be the most accurate QB in the draft, more than Geno Smith. Whats interesting about watching him is how great of a feel he has for mixing up his style of throw/release point to avoid pass rushers and get into tight windows. His athleticism is about the same as Alex Smith, can run a little bit but won't be doing any designed runs.

Completely agree on Zack Dysert. Of all the qb's in the draft, he has the best combination of accuracy and ability to read a defense (make progressions). Ontop of that he has good size, can make all the throws, above average mobility, and has performed well against his top competition (with zero supporting cast). I wouldn't be shocked if he is one of the top 3 qb's drafted and lands in the top 35 picks. I am 100% on his bandwagon.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Dec 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone