There are 163 users in the forums

Randy Moss thread

• dj43
In an interview with Cincinnati media, Bengals HC Marvin Lewis expressed rather strong criticism of the 49ers for playing Randy Moss ahead of AJ Jenkins last season. According to Lewis, not only did Moss contribute little to the 49er offense, it prevented Jenkins from getting the playing time necessary to develop.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/03/17/lewis-discusses-free-agency/

Though it is somewhat in hindsight, I happen to agree with Lewis. As we have discussed in the Jenkins thread, either Baalke and the scouts did a lousy job of scouting Jenkins, or they grossly overestimated what Moss could bring to the team. Though Harbaugh often praised Moss for his "professionalism" and locker room presence, I believe that not using Jenkins at all was a high price to pay for Moss' "presence."

At this time last year it was clear that perhaps the greatest area of need was at WR, hence the moves to sign Moss and Manningham plus drafting Jenkins. Now with Moss moving toward retirement and Manningham a BIG question mark for next season, the 49ers still do not know what they have in Jenkins. Harbaugh's failure to include Jenkins at least enough to know whether he was a Baalke screw-up or not, puts the team in the same place they were at this time last season - they need to draft another WR to give them the speed (and height) they will need to compete against the better secondaries around the league, most particularly the Seattle secondary.
Originally posted by dj43:
In an interview with Cincinnati media, Bengals HC Marvin Lewis expressed rather strong criticism of the 49ers for playing Randy Moss ahead of AJ Jenkins last season. According to Lewis, not only did Moss contribute little to the 49er offense, it prevented Jenkins from getting the playing time necessary to develop.

Though it is somewhat in hindsight, I happen to agree with Lewis. As we have discussed in the Jenkins thread, either Baalke and the scouts did a lousy job of scouting Jenkins, or they grossly overestimated what Moss could bring to the team. Though Harbaugh often praised Moss for his "professionalism" and locker room presence, I believe that not using Jenkins at all was a high price to pay for Moss' "presence."

At this time last year it was clear that perhaps the greatest area of need was at WR, hence the moves to sign Moss and Manningham plus drafting Jenkins. Now with Moss moving toward retirement and Manningham a BIG question mark for next season, the 49ers still do not know what they have in Jenkins. Harbaugh's failure to include Jenkins at least enough to know whether he was a Baalke screw-up or not, puts the team in the same place they were at this time last season - they need to draft another WR to give them the speed (and height) they will need to compete against the better secondaries around the league, most particularly the Seattle secondary.

Jenkins made his own bed. If he had done something, anything, to show the coaches he belonged on the field, I have no doubt he would have played more. You only have to look at the one pass he had thrown to him in the regular season - he drops it. It was like a five yard crossing route. He was wide open.
  • dj43
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by dj43:

Jenkins made his own bed. If he had done something, anything, to show the coaches he belonged on the field, I have no doubt he would have played more. You only have to look at the one pass he had thrown to him in the regular season - he drops it. It was like a five yard crossing route. He was wide open.
If Jenkins was that far from being ready mentally, it should have shown up somewhere in the interview process. Even so, there should have been some time earlier in the season when Jenkins should have been getting some PT so the team could judge whether he is a player or not.

Frankly, I believe a part of the Bolding deal should alert us to the fact the team still has some reservations about Jenkins having an impact this season. Of course, that has to be weighed against the fact Boldin only cost a late 6th round pick.
Randy - one & done. Didn't cause trouble and didn't contribute as he did in the past.

Thanks - nice knowing you and the beat goes on.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1655

Randy Moss close to joining FOX
Originally posted by YungAce:

ONE CLAP
Can someone explain to me why we dont want to bring him back? You cant seriously tell me we have a better option right now
Originally posted by spizzy:
Can someone explain to me why we dont want to bring him back? You cant seriously tell me we have a better option right now

A.J. Jenkins is tearing it up

He originally tried to join NBC for the Sunday Night broadcast, but he couldn't stay on camera b/c he kept ducking every time Rodney Harrison walked behind him
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerdemonsjotoplasm:

He originally tried to join NBC for the Sunday Night broadcast, but he couldn't stay on camera b/c he kept ducking every time Rodney Harrison walked behind him

lol

I second this notion. We can sure as Hll use Moss to atleast scare some defenses and who knows, maybe Kape will have the arm to actually reach Moss on a few Deepies.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

I second this notion. We can sure as Hll use Moss to atleast scare some defenses and who knows, maybe Kape will have the arm to actually reach Moss on a few Deepies.

Was thinking about this myself...especially when I just heard someone say the Niners just have a bunch of slot receivers/short yardage WRs. It's kind of true - no real proven deep threat (like Moss kind of acted like last year) to put the fear into opposing teams' DBs. If I were a D-Coordinator playing the Niners, I'd play my D tighter to the line of scrimmage and dare the Niners to throw it deep - I'd only give help over the top against Vernon Davis.
Share 49ersWebzone