LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Kyle Williams needs to go *update* Gone!

If you're watching television, listening to sports radio or even browsing around the internet, people are saying what has been plainly obvious watching these last two games. Teams are focusing entirely on shutting down Boldin, leaving Williams alone in man-to-man coverage and basically saying "go ahead, do something." Williams isn't getting open with any sort of frequency and thus the strategy is working. It's quite simple and as long as Williams struggles to beat his man 1 on 1, defenses don't have to adjust their approach.

At this point, I'm all for giving his snaps to Moore or Patton and letting them show what they can do, both of them have had limited targets and limited playing time and I don't see Kyle Williams doing anything differently than he has been doing. Like I said in the preseason, he's a decent #4 or #5 WR, not a #2 WR in the slightest. People hyped this guy incredibly but he's the same guy he's always been, the same guy I watched at ASU, not a difference maker, a nice complementary receiver who can make plays downfield as a #4 guy when defenses are focusing on a teams other threats.

I'd be quite happy to see them drop him back in the WR rotation and if the offense is going to struggle, might as well see what Moore or Patton can accomplish being fed the ball more regularly because Williams hasn't done jack s**t with it and defensive coordinators are disturbingly happy to leave a cornerback on an island with him.
Agree 100%. Patton and Moore should be getting his snaps. Williams is nothing more than a 4th/5th WR with some return ability. He's too weak and a sloppy route runner.
You do know that HE IS our 4th/5th WR on the depth chart, right? With Crabs and Manningham hurt, we had no other player ready minus him...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
should have kept Hawkins over this loser.
Originally posted by kidash98:
You do know that HE IS our 4th/5th WR on the depth chart, right? With Crabs and Manningham hurt, we had no other player ready minus him...

He should STILL be the 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart behind both Moore and Patton...and possibly Baldwin. He's made that pretty clear thus far. He's not going to do s**t for you, maybe when the defense is playing prevent like a couple of times against the Seahawks, but manned up, he hasn't shown the slightest ability to break loose against coverage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM ]
Originally posted by kidash98:

Yes, but he shouldn't even be #2 right now. We know what he can do, he's not a starting caliber player under any circumstances. Put Patton or Moore in and see what they can do.
Yeah get rid of our second best WR. LOL no. Something tells me he starts again next game because the guys who get paid to know football disagree with you.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Yeah get rid of our second best WR. LOL no. Something tells me he starts again next game because the guys who get paid to know football disagree with you.

Funny the same logic doesn't apply when evaluating QB's......apparently the WZ are experts on this subject.

LOL, based on what? Based on the fact that he's been utterly mediocre his entire career? What is the upside with him? I don't see it, same sloppy route runner he was in college, same guy getting blown off the line, not going after the ball. Because he's got seniority? Seriously, he's shown nothing thus far and defenses are feeding off of it. I don't see any downside to giving Moore and Patton more looks and dropping Williams down the rotation. What is the worst that will happen, they can't get open? Nothing changes then.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Funny the same logic doesn't apply when evaluating QB's......apparently the WZ are experts on this subject.

This man ain't told no lies!

How can a receiver make catches that are not thrown his way because the QB is scared of single coverage? Making KW the sacrificial lamb for your frustrations is misguided.

[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
How can a receiver make catches that are not thrown his way because the QB is scared of single coverage? Making KW the sacrificial lamb for your frustrations are misguided.

Because Williams isn't doing anything to consistently separate from single coverage and defenses know this. Greg Cosell pointed this out well, that teams are hammering down on Boldin and that Williams is essentially useless, meaning defenses only have to focus on locking down Boldin and VD

. They are essentially daring the 49ers to throw at Williams, not seemingly concerned that he'll break away from coverage and he's done jack s**t to actually get open and make plays as a result. Williams clearly hasn't worked, why not let Moore and Patton get more targets and see if they're able to create and make plays happen.

As much as I've been unhappy with the scheme, the onus is on the WR's to also make something happen, to beat their man and get open and Williams hasn't been doing that at all. I've seen a couple instances of broken coverage or a team simply playing the prevent where he got free and either was overthrown or dropped the pass. But man-on-man, he hasn't shown the slightest ability to beat coverage, meaning teams will keep stacking the box, keeping focusing almost exclusively on stopping Boldin and VD and ignoring Williams on the outside.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
How can a receiver make catches that are not thrown his way because the QB is scared of single coverage? Making KW the sacrificial lamb for your frustrations is misguided.

LOL you sound like a broken record, you must be loving it right now that we're losing.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL, based on what? Based on the fact that he's been utterly mediocre his entire career? What is the upside with him? I don't see it, same sloppy route runner he was in college, same guy getting blown off the line, not going after the ball. Because he's got seniority? Seriously, he's shown nothing thus far and defenses are feeding off of it. I don't see any downside to giving Moore and Patton more looks and dropping Williams down the rotation. What is the worst that will happen, they can't get open? Nothing changes then.

Guess just time will tell. Lets see what Harbaugh does on Thursday. He has looked fine to me, QB just has the jitters and can't hit anything.
lol are you guys not watching the games? i posted in another thread but lets see:

Game 1: Kyle Williams gets open deep for 2 EASY TD's. he could've walked in. on the first, kap badly overthrows him. on the 2nd, kap badly underthrows him. wide open.

Game 2: Kyle Williams AGAIN gets open in the redzone multiple times for easy TD's. kap doesn't look his way. abused thurmond a few times and kap never looks that way. maybe its kap, maybe the oline, whatever

Game 3: haven't watched the all-22 so i can't say for sure but i was at the game and i can tell you with 100% certaintly that early in the game, on 3rd and 4, kap scrambles out, has williams WIDE OPEN past the sticks. no one within 5 yards of him. and of course he throws a f**king dart from about 5 yards away that is also behind kyle williams. no touch on the pass, it didn't need to be a bullet.

so go ahead and listen to all the talking heads here at webzone or on the radio or whatever. kyle williams isn't a great player but lets not pretend that he hasn't gotten open. what else can a receiver do? he has no drops to his credit this year.
Share 49ersWebzone