LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 440 users in the forums

Alex Smith in Free Agency

Come along with me for a moment, on a magical ride to fantasy land...

where the NFL Gods are smiling down on our beloved 49ers...

and a young man with high expectations finally reaches them...

by leading the team who stayed with him to a Super Bowl victory...

with much needed help from a 1st year NFL Head Coach who knows something about developing a successful Quarterback...

Yeah, I know what you are thinking. You probably are questioning my mental capacities or are wondering what I've been smoking right about now. But hey, there's no Free Agency or trades and not much going on for a few months now... so I guess my mind is wandering. But just "float" along with me and dream about an outcome like this...

Due to the crazy offseason with the lockout, the best option for Alex Smith is to return to the 49ers in 2011 and try, one more time, to earn the respect of the Niner Faithful and make good on the promise he once had as the 49ers #1 overall pick.

The future starter for the Niners, Colin Kaepernick, is just not ready to play this year in large part because of the limited time he has spent with the coaches due to the lockout and Alex Smith is named as the starter early in Pre-season.

Under the expert guidance of our new Head Coach, Jim Harbaugh, the 2011 NFL Season is one where Alex Smith becomes one of the elite QBs in the NFL and he leads the 49ers to not only an NFC West Title, or an NFC Championship, but also a Super Bowl win! It is truly a Kurt Warner type of story for Alex Smith in his final season with the 49ers as Jim Harbaugh earns NFL Head Coach of the Year in his 1st season with the 49ers.

Next year, Alex Smith signs a huge free agent deal with the Seattle Seahawks who overpay him and fail to make the playoffs in 2012... while the 49ers are once again NFC West Champs... but lead this time by their 1st year starting QB Colin Kaepernick.
oh, wouldn't that be nice. I'm not going to hold my breath though. It may be possible to make the playoffs due to our awful division, but a SuperBowl win in the first season as head coach seems waaaay to far-fetched.

But again, wouldn't that be nice. scratch that, awesome!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
oh, wouldn't that be nice. I'm not going to hold my breath though. It may be possible to make the playoffs due to our awful division, but a SuperBowl win in the first season as head coach seems waaaay to far-fetched.

But again, wouldn't that be nice. scratch that, awesome!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Never hurts to dream.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Bump to merge into the Alex Smith thread.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niner_Wolf:

with much needed help from a 1st year NFL Head Coach who knows something about developing a successful Quarterback...

Yeah, I know what you are thinking. You probably are questioning my mental capacities or are wondering what I've been smoking right about now. But hey, there's no Free Agency or trades and not much going on for a few months now... so I guess my mind is wandering. But just "float" along with me and dream about an outcome like this...

Due to the crazy offseason with the lockout, the best option for Alex Smith is to return to the 49ers in 2011 and try, one more time, to earn the respect of the Niner Faithful and make good on the promise he once had as the 49ers #1 overall pick.

The future starter for the Niners, Colin Kaepernick, is just not ready to play this year in large part because of the limited time he has spent with the coaches due to the lockout and Alex Smith is named as the starter early in Pre-season.

Under the expert guidance of our new Head Coach, Jim Harbaugh, the 2011 NFL Season is one where Alex Smith becomes one of the elite QBs in the NFL and he leads the 49ers to not only an NFC West Title, or an NFC Championship, but also a Super Bowl win! It is truly a Kurt Warner type of story for Alex Smith in his final season with the 49ers as Jim Harbaugh earns NFL Head Coach of the Year in his 1st season with the 49ers.

Next year, Alex Smith signs a huge free agent deal with the Seattle Seahawks who overpay him and fail to make the playoffs in 2012... while the 49ers are once again NFC West Champs... but lead this time by their 1st year starting QB Colin Kaepernick.

Originally posted by TJA85:

Is that fat kid Anthony Davis son?

The other youngster kind of looks like he could be related to Josh Morgan.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 27, 2011 at 15:34:36 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

those are brad and angalina's future kids
Originally posted by FreddyG:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

those are brad and angalina's future kids

Too old bro

Since this is the ALex Smith in free agency thread, I have a question......

Lets say the lockout is lifted. The 49ers have the 1/$5 contract on the table for him. Well what do you think he would do if say the Cardinals or Bills (or some equally inept QBless team) offers ALex a 3/$15 or something similar?

I mean, I understand he wants to be a 49er. But hypothetically speaking, how could he pass up a longer term contract that another team may offer?
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Lets say the lockout is lifted. The 49ers have the 1/$5 contract on the table for him. Well what do you think he would do if say the Cardinals or Bills (or some equally inept QBless team) offers ALex a 3/$15 or something similar?

I mean, I understand he wants to be a 49er. But hypothetically speaking, how could he pass up a longer term contract that another team may offer?

He is already independently wealthy from his first contract so he may chance the 1 yr here as his best chance at redemption. Going elsewhere would be less likely for success, Harbaugh seems his best option as coach. Don't see him as the type of person to take a playbook and then bolt.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

He'd have to consider it. He would also have to consider how the 3/$15 is structured. Remember NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so if he's cut after a year, the contract may be equivalent to what he was offered to stay in SF.

If it included lots of guaranteed money and it was playing for another offensive minded coach, like Whisenhut, he should consider it. At this point, I don't think he goes unless he gets an insanely good offer. Too much time invested learning this playbook and building a rapport with the receivers and the line.

That's just my opinion.
I don't think the money matters for Alex. He's too well set up with the 40 million he already received, and he drives around in a beat up old truck. This guy isn't worried about money. He made a commitment to Harbaugh, and he will hold to it.
Originally posted by Otter:

He'd have to consider it. He would also have to consider how the 3/$15 is structured. Remember NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so if he's cut after a year, the contract may be equivalent to what he was offered to stay in SF.

If it included lots of guaranteed money and it was playing for another offensive minded coach, like Whisenhut, he should consider it. At this point, I don't think he goes unless he gets an insanely good offer. Too much time invested learning this playbook and building a rapport with the receivers and the line.

That's just my opinion.

Also, unless we bring in a big name FA, we're pretty much handing him the opening day starting job. Not a lot of other teams would be willing to do that, and he's not going to give up a fairly sure thing.
Share 49ersWebzone