There are 160 users in the forums

Help! Beginner, where do I start?

I'm not gonna bother you with questions like how many teams/positions and what the scoring is like. I suggest you try to get a top RB with your first pick and maybe even your 2nd pick as well unless there's a stud WR there to take. Wait on QB, I'd even draft one of the top 5 TE's before I pick a QB. Don't pick a kicker until the last round and feel free to wait till the last rounds to pick a defense too unless you get good value for one of the top 3 defenses.

Feel free to use this as a reference: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/12866396/top-300-rankings-2015

and for the love of god don't draft Hayne. Unless you wanna take a chance in the last round for the fun of it, but he's a long shot to be anywhere near relevant in FF.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I'm not gonna bother you with questions like how many teams/positions and what the scoring is like. I suggest you try to get a top RB with your first pick and maybe even your 2nd pick as well unless there's a stud WR there to take. Wait on QB, I'd even draft one of the top 5 TE's before I pick a QB. Don't pick a kicker until the last round and feel free to wait till the last rounds to pick a defense too unless you get good value for one of the top 3 defenses.

Feel free to use this as a reference: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/12866396/top-300-rankings-2015

and for the love of god don't draft Hayne. Unless you wanna take a chance in the last round for the fun of it, but he's a long shot to be anywhere near relevant in FF.

This paragraph right here contains the basics of Fantasy Football right here. If you follow this you're on the right track. The only thing that I'd add is don't be afraid to stock up on Running Backs as you get into later rounds. In American football, there's usually one Running Back per team that gets most of the touches at that position. There are usually fewer quality Running Backs on the waiver wire than any other position.
  • Kombi
  • Veteran

Lol thanks, wasn't going to Draft Hayne, even a huge fan with no idea about Fantasy knows he has no Fantasy value.
Will check out that link now, thanks!
The League set up is 10 teams, snake draft everything seems standard. I think only points that may of changed is Offensive - Passing yards is 1 point per 25 yards I think when looking at other set ups it was 1 per 50 yards. If that's the case that would add a little more weight to WR I'm guessing?
  • Kombi
  • Veteran
I will say this about Hayne in the NRL fantasy he was the man. You would pick him first and we had a captain who would score double points and it was nearly always Hayne you would select.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

This paragraph right here contains the basics of Fantasy Football right here. If you follow this you're on the right track. The only thing that I'd add is don't be afraid to stock up on Running Backs as you get into later rounds. In American football, there's usually one Running Back per team that gets most of the touches at that position. There are usually fewer quality Running Backs on the waiver wire than any other position.

Just to add to that point, its always a good idea to grab the backup running backs to your starters if you can. That's what we call handcuffing a RB. That way if your starting RB is injured you have his replacement right on your bench. Then you aren't stuck scrambling for another RB because they are scarce. Even post draft try to trade for them if you can. Good luck...
[ Edited by JBrack on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM ]
  • Kombi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JBrack:

Just to add to that point, its always a good idea to grab the backup running backs to your starters if you can. That's what we call handcuffing a RB. That way if your starting RB is injured you have his replacement right on your bench. Then you aren't stuck scrambling for another RB because they are scarce. Even post draft try to trade for them if you can. Good luck...

Cool thanks for the tips LA9erFan and JBrack.
So how many RB's should I draft in my 16? also do i draft a back up QB and TE but not K & Def?
The team is 8 positions: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R, K & Def.

both LA and JB bring good stuff here, I agree with both stocking up on RB's in the later rounds and handcuffing some of your starters. Not all RB's warrant getting their backups drafted but if their job security is fringe or if they're injury-prone I'd definitely focus on handcuffing them.

For example, if you draft Adrian Peterson there is very little point in drafting Jerick McKinnon (currently listed as AP's backup). AP is in no danger of losing his job, is a 3-down back who rarely comes off the field, and isn't injury-prone. Drafting McKinnon even in the last 3 rounds or so is highly unlike to do you any service and if AP ever does get injured McKinnon will more than likely be available for pickup. On the other hand if you draft Andre Ellington I'd definitely recommend drafting Chris Johnson towards the end of your draft as Ellington's job security isn't solid and he can also be injury-prone.
Originally posted by Kombi:
So how many RB's should I draft in my 16? also do i draft a back up QB and TE but not K & Def?

I'd draft 5 RBs.

Regarding whether or not you draft a backup QB or TE, that depends on who your starter is. If you wait until later rounds to get one, you should probably draft a backup. That way, you have two similar players and you can start one or the other depending on how favorable (notice how there's no "u" in that word ) the matchup is. If you draft a top flight QB (Luck, Rodgers) or TE (Gronkowski, Graham), you're fine not drafting a backup and just picking up someone off of the waiver wire when they have a bye week.
both LA and JB bring good stuff here, I agree with both stocking up on RB's in the later rounds and handcuffing some of your starters. Not all RB's warrant getting their backups drafted but if their job security is fringe or if they're injury-prone I'd definitely focus on handcuffing them.

For example, if you draft Adrian Peterson there is very little point in drafting Jerick McKinnon (currently listed as AP's backup). AP is in no danger of losing his job, is a 3-down back who rarely comes off the field, and isn't injury-prone. Drafting McKinnon even in the last 3 rounds or so is highly unlike to do you any service and if AP ever does get injured McKinnon will more than likely be available for pickup. On the other hand if you draft Andre Ellington I'd definitely recommend drafting Chris Johnson towards the end of your draft as Ellington's job security isn't solid and he can also be injury-prone.

FWIW, I think David Johnson is gonna with that backup RB job in Arizona.
  • Kombi
  • Veteran
Also Le'Veon Bell suspended for 2 weeks, doesnt seem to affect his high ranking on the different lists ive seen. So should he be my 1st draft if available?

looks like you'll have 7 bench spots so I'd aim to draft about 6 RB's (2 starters + flex + 3 upside RB's). I wouldn't worry drafting backup QB's and TE's to be honest and definitely no backup DEF or K. When their bye weeks come you can always pick up an extra QB/TE for the worst player on your roster at that time, and in the case of DEF/K you can often just drop whoever you have and pick-and-plug whoever you pick up.
Also Le'Veon Bell suspended for 2 weeks, doesnt seem to affect his high ranking on the different lists ive seen. So should he be my 1st draft if available?

Do you know what pick you have? IMO, if you have a Top 2 pick, you take him.

FWIW, I think David Johnson is gonna with that backup RB job in Arizona.

yea I just mentioned CJ?K because he was listed as the backup today

everyone will have different takes on this. If I'm drafting him with my 1st rounder I am definitely drafting another RB with my 2nd rounder.
  • Kombi
  • Veteran
looks like you'll have 7 bench spots so I'd aim to draft about 6 RB's (2 starters + flex + 3 upside RB's). I wouldn't worry drafting backup QB's and TE's to be honest and definitely no backup DEF or K. When their bye weeks come you can always pick up an extra QB/TE for the worst player on your roster at that time, and in the case of DEF/K you can often just drop whoever you have and pick-and-plug whoever you pick up.

Awesome, thanks.
Do you know what pick you have? IMO, if you have a Top 2 pick, you take him.

Won't know until 30 minutes before Draft I believe.
yea I just mentioned CJ?K because he was listed as the backup today

everyone will have different takes on this. If I'm drafting him with my 1st rounder I am definitely drafting another RB with my 2nd rounder.

Another great point, so if I get Bell, make sure draft pick 2 is another RB.
  • Kombi
  • Veteran
Ok does this look reasonable:

Look to get 6 RB's

No Back up QB if i get Luck or Rodgers (any others?). I'm guessing these 2 will go early, but if they don't, when is the earliest round I should be looking to get them. And if not available and going the QB with Back Up at What rounds would I look at to get my QB and back up?

No Back up TE if i get Gronkowski or Graham (any others?). I'm guessing these 2 will go early, but if they don't, when is the earliest round I should be looking to get them. And if not available and going the TE with Back Up at What rounds would I look at to getting them?

Pick Kicker last round?

Pick Def Second last round?
Share 49ersWebzone