LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

Want to win your Fantasy Football league?

I guessing Thomas is your favorite WR this year?

I would take Brown, Dez, and Calvin over him. Maybe even ODBjr
I wouldn't take Calvin over him, but between him, Brown, and Dez, I'd say they're pretty equal.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Damn you jordy
Originally posted by bors:
Damn you jordy

Yea... I've got him in one of my leagues.
Originally posted by jedediahyork:
I wouldn't take Calvin over him, but between him, Brown, and Dez, I'd say they're pretty equal.

You're sleeping on calvin
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:

Not at all, he's just not a top 5 receiver anymore... he finished outside the top 10 last year. He's still good, but he's just not going to put up the same numbers as those guys. He's 30 now, had ankle surgery a couple years ago... those other guys haven't lost significant time to injury. Out of that group, he's poised to be the biggest letdown.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Aug 25, 2015 at 1:13 AM ]

Not at all, he's just not a top 5 receiver anymore... he finished outside the top 10 last year. He's still good, but he's just not going to put up the same numbers as those guys. He's 30 now, had ankle surgery a couple years ago... those other guys haven't lost significant time to injury. Out of that group, he's poised to be the biggest letdown.

He was injured 5 games last year and still put up 1000 yards and 7tds. If he stays healthy he can easily finish top 5 even #1. I agree he is the biggest risk but he also has the biggest upside. Don't forget who calvin is.

He was injured 5 games last year and still put up 1000 yards and 7tds. If he stays healthy he can easily finish top 5 even #1. I agree he is the biggest risk but he also has the biggest upside. Don't forget who calvin is.

I smell a PYMWYMI... care to make a name change bet? I bet he finishes outside the top 5, standard ESPN scoring. Don't forget he's got a legit #2 on the other side of the field stealing receptions from him and his QB is having accuracy issues.

I smell a PYMWYMI... care to make a name change bet? I bet he finishes outside the top 5, standard ESPN scoring. Don't forget he's got a legit #2 on the other side of the field stealing receptions from him and his QB is having accuracy issues.

I'll take the bet, but if he gets injured bets off. If he plays 16 games he will easily finish in the top 5. And correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think u can change your username after u create the account lol

I'll take the bet, but if he gets injured bets off. If he plays 16 games he will easily finish in the top 5. And correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think u can change your username after u create the account lol

The mods can change names.

But injuries have to be included... he hasn't played a full season since 2012. That's one of the reasons I'm not very high on him.

The mods can change names.

But injuries have to be included... he hasn't played a full season since 2012. That's one of the reasons I'm not very high on him.

Nah I agree injury risk is a knock on calvin. But if he remains healthy he is still the best wr in the league
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Although I agree a Rb is more valuable than a Wr in my most recent draft I drafted Antonio Brown and Julio Jones with my first 2 picks and was still able to draft McCoy and Hyde as my RBs. It's my best team.

we talking about an 8-team league?

10 team yahoo standard league

Shady's value dropped this year, so did Murray because they're on new teams. Not quite sure if Shady is a good fit for Roman, and it's the Bills, so they could be playing from behind quite a bit - meaning a lot is passing. Shady does have value in the passing game, however. Hyde is still a FF question mark.

I was able to get Hyde in the later rounds as a RB3 or RB4 in an 8 man league. I'd expect him to be available in the 3rd or 4th round in a 12 man league, however. edit - just drafted a 12 man, Hyde went at pick 40.

yahoo starts 3 wr so rb's are always available ate. This guys info is more focused towards flex leagues
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Although I agree a Rb is more valuable than a Wr in my most recent draft I drafted Antonio Brown and Julio Jones with my first 2 picks and was still able to draft McCoy and Hyde as my RBs. It's my best team.

Shady's value dropped this year, so did Murray because they're on new teams. Not quite sure if Shady is a good fit for Roman, and it's the Bills, so they could be playing from behind quite a bit - meaning a lot is passing. Shady does have value in the passing game, however. Hyde is still a FF question mark.

I was able to get Hyde in the later rounds as a RB3 or RB4 in an 8 man league. I'd expect him to be available in the 3rd or 4th round in a 12 man league, however. edit - just drafted a 12 man, Hyde went at pick 40.

yahoo starts 3 wr so rb's are always available ate. This guys info is more focused towards flex leagues

I also got olson and brady.

My lineup is:

QB: Brady
WR: Brown
WR: Jones
WR. D. Jackson
RB: McCoy
RB: Hyde
TE: Olson

Bench: Gurley, Mason, Gates, Rivers, Quick, F. Jackson
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:

Even in Yahoo leagues, RBs get you more points than WRs. A good RB (top 15) will average you 15-20 points a game, and outside of the top 3 WRs, most WRs net you 10-15 points a game. Remember, RBs get points for both rushes and passes, and a top 15 RB is usually a featured back. WRs only get passes, and are always competing for touches. IIRC, Yahoo standard leagues score pass yardage as a point every 25 yards - making them TD dependent, while RBs get a point every 10 rushing yards.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Aug 30, 2015 at 9:25 AM ]
Here's some examples:

ESPN 8 team (pick 9 overall)
Romo, Murray, CJ Anderson, Alshon Jeffery, Jordan Matthews, Graham, Hyde, Ravens, Bryant Bench - Maclin, Rashad Jennings, Decker, Crowell, T. Smith, Doug Martin, Teddy B.

ESPN 10 team (auction)
Wilson, Forte, Murray, Demaryius Thomas, K. Allen, Dwayne Allen, Gurley, Dolphins, Bailey Bench - Spiller, Michael Floyd, Blue, Sims, D. Williams, Garcon, T. Smith

ESPN 12 team (pick #2 overall)
Brees, Charles, Lamar Miller, AJ Green, V. Jackson, Fleener, Gurley, Packers, Sturgis Bench - Wallace, Vereen, T. Smith, Michael Floyd, Charles Sims, T. West, Harvin

The 10 team and 12 team are strong with my starters, and I feel comfortable enough with my bench to replace Gurley, who might not get significant time until week 5 or 6. Likewise, in my 8 team, my bench is strong enough in WRs to mix and match depending on matchup.

That's the key - outside of the top 5 WRs, you can get similar performance week to week from nearly any playable WR based on matchups. There are so many WRs in the league and less than half that number of RBs. Which means good RBs are at a premium in fantasy football.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Aug 30, 2015 at 9:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone