LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

How did i do in my draft???

This is my first time playing fantasy football... Im playing in a 12 team league with a flex(wr or rb).... How did i do for my draft, and who do I start and bench... thanks for all advice giving..

1.Aaron Rogers 6.Michael Vick 11.Ronnie Hillman
2.A.J. Green 7.Houston Def. 12.Darius Heyward-bey
3.Demarco Murray 8.Josh Gordon 13.DeAndre Hopkins
4.Larry Fitzgerald 9.Coby Fleener 14.Pierre Thomas
5.Chris Ivory 10. Justin Tucker 15.Denard Robinson

And im undecided on if i should start Aaron Rodger or Michael Vick wk1... Rogers is facing San Francisco , and Vick is up against Washington
In a non-PPR league, tell me who your RB's are and I'll tell you how your team looks.

Your team is average. I bet my right nut that you would have done a lot better taking whatever RB was available with your 1st pick instead of taking A-Rod. On top of that, after securing one of the safest QB in all of FF, you wasted your 6th rounder on Vick. I like the Green and Fitzgerald picks, but who is your flex? Hillman? you lucked out getting him after drafting your kicker in the first round ....

You've got work to do, I'd put some trade offers out there and try to turn A-Rod or AJG or Fitz into a solid RB1. Stay active on the wire too.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
weak RBs
Originally posted by vrabbit:
In a non-PPR league, tell me who your RB's are and I'll tell you how your team looks.

Your team is average. I bet my right nut that you would have done a lot better taking whatever RB was available with your 1st pick instead of taking A-Rod. On top of that, after securing one of the safest QB in all of FF, you wasted your 6th rounder on Vick. I like the Green and Fitzgerald picks, but who is your flex? Hillman? you lucked out getting him after drafting your kicker in the first round ....

You've got work to do, I'd put some trade offers out there and try to turn A-Rod or AJG or Fitz into a solid RB1. Stay active on the wire too.
thanks for the input.. i was 10th in the draft and with the nfl being a passing league now, i didnt take in account of the difference when it came to fantasy football.. i know now.. but again thanks
Originally posted by DeHubb:

thanks for the input.. i was 10th in the draft and with the nfl being a passing league now, i didnt take in account of the difference when it came to fantasy football.. i know now.. but again thanks

which makes WR probably the deepest group in fantasy football, at least this season. QB is second.
for my RBs im going with Demarco Murray and Chris Ivory(since Jets have no set QB or WR, so they will most likely have to be run heavy i would think)
Originally posted by DeHubb:

which makes WR probably the deepest group in fantasy football, at least this season. QB is second.

As a general rule, an elite RB > an elite WR.

In today's NFL, an elite QB > an elite RB > an elite WR.

If you think about it, even an elite WR usually won't touch the ball more than an average RB in a game, even in the most pass happy offenses. And an elite QB will have more opportunities to put up points than either of those positions.

A. Rog will most likely put up 300-350(+) points for you in a standard league. Compare that to Adrian Peterson who might hit 300 points. And below top 10 RB will net below 200 points. If you think about it like that, your average RB only needs to put up 100-125 points (which Murray and Ivory are projected at) to make up the difference and be a solid contributor to your team.

Now take your WRs... an elite WR at 200 points (and A.J. Green is projected to be near there this year), where the drop off at 12 is about 150 points (about where Fitz is slated to be). You've got about 50 points to play with to cover your #2 RB...

All in all, you have a decent core, you'll be competitive. Keep an eye on waivers. About week 3-4, people start doubting their tier 2 picks... If you see a second string RB who will be starting against a favorable matchup due to the #1 being injured or something, you can always swap him in...
[ Edited by mkmasn on Aug 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM ]
Originally posted by mkmasn:

If you think about it, even an elite WR usually won't touch the ball more than an average RB in a game, even in the most pass happy offenses. And an elite QB will have more opportunities to put up points than either of those positions.

A. Rog will most likely put up 300-350(+) points for you in a standard league. Compare that to Adrian Peterson who might hit 300 points. And below top 10 will net below 200 points. If you think about it like that, your average RB only needs to put up 100-125 points (which Murray and Ivory are projected at) to make up the difference and be a solid contributor to your team.

Now take your WRs... an elite WR at 200 points (and A.J. Green is projected to be near there this year), where the drop off at 12 is about 150 points (about where Fitz is slated to be). You've got about 50 points to play with...

All in all, you have a decent core, you'll be competitive. Keep an eye on waivers. About week 3-4, people start doubting their tier 2 picks...

This is terrible advice. As far as points go, you are correct, QBs score the most points, but the fact remains that starting RB are at a premium because there is only a handful of them. Let me ask you a question, when you go to your Free Agency wire every year after the first 2 or 3 weeks, what players dominate the top of that list? Quarterbacks are, because they ALL score points (that's why you don't even bother with a backup QB in 10 Team leagues, it's just too deep). Couple that with the fact that this year is expected to be a HUGE year for QBs and there is absolutely no need to draft Rodgers in the first round or reach for a QB at any point in the first 4 rounds. Guys like Kaepernick, Ryan, and Newton or going in the 5th round and Griffin and Wilson in the 6th and later. What kind of quality RB can you get that late when you've already wasted a pick on a QB?
Originally posted by KaeptainCrush:

A. Rog will most likely put up 300-350(+) points for you in a standard league. Compare that to Adrian Peterson who might hit 300 points. And below top 10 will net below 200 points. If you think about it like that, your average RB only needs to put up 100-125 points (which Murray and Ivory are projected at) to make up the difference and be a solid contributor to your team.

Now take your WRs... an elite WR at 200 points (and A.J. Green is projected to be near there this year), where the drop off at 12 is about 150 points (about where Fitz is slated to be). You've got about 50 points to play with...

All in all, you have a decent core, you'll be competitive. Keep an eye on waivers. About week 3-4, people start doubting their tier 2 picks...

This is terrible advice. As far as points go, you are correct, QBs score the most points, but the fact remains that starting RB are at a premium because there is only a handful of them. Let me ask you a question, when you go to your Free Agency wire every year after the first 2 or 3 weeks, what players dominate the top of that list? Quarterbacks are, because they ALL score points (that's why you don't even bother with a backup QB in 10 Team leagues, it's just too deep). Couple that with the fact that this year is expected to be a HUGE year for QBs and there is absolutely no need to draft Rodgers in the first round or reach for a QB at any point in the first 4 rounds. Guys like Kaepernick, Ryan, and Newton or going in the 5th round and Griffin and Wilson in the 6th and later. What kind of quality RB can you get that late when you've already wasted a pick on a QB?

You don't need elite players across the board to win in Fantasy Football, regardless of what you may think.

While I agree with the fantasy drafting philosophy that RBs are top of the food chain, what good is an elite RB going to do against a stout run defense? And like I said, the dropoff after #10 is huge with RBs. So, at pick #10, you can be right on the cusp of 150 points from an above average RB, or you can grab an elite QB who is going to put up twice that.

My draft usually goes RB, RB, WR, RB, WR, QB, etc... But I do understand taking the best QB in the game with that #10 pick, especially considering he picks again a few picks later...
mkmasn , KaeptainCrush Hey i appreciate both of yalls advice, it will help me alot with my second draft i have coming up on sept 2...

You don't need elite players across the board to win in Fantasy Football, regardless of what you may think.

While I agree with the fantasy drafting philosophy that RBs are top of the food chain, what good is an elite RB going to do against a stout run defense? And like I said, the dropoff after #10 is huge with RBs. So, at pick #10, you can be right on the cusp of 150 points from an above average RB, or you can grab an elite QB who is going to put up twice that.

My draft usually goes RB, RB, WR, RB, WR, QB, etc... But I do understand taking the best QB in the game with that #10 pick, especially considering he picks again a few picks later...
while the drop off at 10 is pretty large, the drop off at 25 is MASSIVE in comparison. At that point all the bell-cow RB, and Overall #1s on the depth charts across the league are gone. The difference in carries between #1s and #2s is pretty massive in most cases. even in RBBC. There is a reason why guys like Montee Ball and David Wilson (before yesterday) we're being draft 4 and 5 rounds before their backups and their the most sure fire committees in the league right now.

The point is, while there is a drop off at 10, the WR are just getting started and there should still be plenty of QBs that are going to be difference makers in fantasy. Depth at RB is incredibly important, because MOST leagues start 2 RB and 1 FLEX, and outside of tops at their positions like Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham, most RB in the 20-30 range are going to score more consistent points than the afformentioned. To break it down, most WR and TE (the other two options for flex) score between 5-15 points, but lets be honest, on weeks without TDs your just happy to break double digit points. At the flex, if you have a Top 20 back, he's going to get 20+ touches (barring injury and versus the 8 targets those receivers get on a weekly basis) and can hit 10 points just by playing in the game. I'll take consistency over the 3 or 4 games that a QB like Brees explodes in. If you have good team, you don't even always need all those points.

Rule of thumb, consistency is king in Fantasy Football and it's all about the touches.
Share 49ersWebzone