LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Martin, McCoy, no 1st rd pk, who in 2nd?

2 Keeper league, 12 team, Serpentine, Own the 9th pick

Keepers:
1. Doug Martin
2. Lesean McCoy (Pre-draft trade, traded my first round pick for McCoy)

Love my keepers, but now I don't have a first round pick. Wondering what to do with my 2nd rd pick, essentially 40th overall factoring in keepers. I own back 2 back 5th round picks.

Most likely there won't be any tier 2 wr's left by then - unless there's a QB run early. Because WR is so deep this year and can be had in the mid-rounds, I'm wondering if I should grab a top-end tight end or best player available with my first pick, and deal with my WR's later on.

Or should I just grab a Reggie Wayne, Garcon, or Nicks if they're still available?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
who is available? not sure really what your asking.

I'd go top flight QB IMO
Definitely go w/Wayne if available (Luck trusts him and Pagano likes him as well), but I would snag a big time QB is there wasn't any top-tier WRs to snag.

Here are a few WR I would target later if in same situation:

1. DeAndre Hopkins: Yes a rookie on a run-heavy offense, but ppl are raving about him and with the health history of Johnson, Hopkins has possibility of becoming a #1 WR.

2. Anquain Boldin: Other than the "homer" pick, he and Kaep seem to have a rapport building up and could become his go-to guy. Not a lot of points but should be a steady point average.

3. Reuben Randle: With Nicks health issues, Randle has shown he can step it up and could be a steal late.

4. Eric Decker: Yes, he has to compete w/Thomas and Welker, but Decker was one of Manning's favorite targets last year and could be a safety blanket for Manning.

5. Cortalle Patterson: Rookie with huge upside. Yes, his QBs are Ponder and Cassel, but with Jennings getting double teamed and focus on AP, Patterson has the big play ability to have big game spurts (though he also will have 4 point games as well, just depends on defense playing against).

6. Golden Tate: Look, this is simple math, No Harvin + oft-injuried Rice + contract year = Big time play. Only negative is playing in NFC west w/ three strong secondaries.

7. Justin Blackmon: Yes, he is suspended early, but your depth @ RB is ridiculously high enough to put a flyer on late. He has rapport w/both QBs and has consistency/big play potential, especially w/ a healthy MJD getting 8 in the box looks at the LOS.

Hope those help
[ Edited by ninerdemonsjotoplasm on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
who is available? not sure really what your asking.

I'd go top flight QB IMO
Thanks for the response.

Roddy, Julio, Calvin, Dez, Garcon, Marshall, AJ Green are all being kept/high likely to be kept.

I haven the 40th overall pick factoring in the keepers. I think the value in making that pick a WR is low because like posted above, there is A LOT of quality WR's available in the middle rounds.

Instead with the 40th pick, should I reach and take a TE, or even a third RB, knowing full well that I can get quality WR later on?

I have no interest in picking a QB that early, but I hope everyone else does ;)
why would he trade mccoy for a 1st round pick in a keeper league?
dude better have had AP and Spiller lol
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Aug 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerdemonsjotoplasm:
Definitely go w/Wayne if available (Luck trusts him and Pagano likes him as well), but I would snag a big time QB is there wasn't any top-tier WRs to snag.

Here are a few WR I would target later if in same situation:

1. DeAndre Hopkins: Yes a rookie on a run-heavy offense, but ppl are raving about him and with the health history of Johnson, Hopkins has possibility of becoming a #1 WR.

2. Anquain Boldin: Other than the "homer" pick, he and Kaep seem to have a rapport building up and could become his go-to guy. Not a lot of points but should be a steady point average.

3. Reuben Randle: With Nicks health issues, Randle has shown he can step it up and could be a steal late.

4. Eric Decker: Yes, he has to compete w/Thomas and Welker, but Decker was one of Manning's favorite targets last year and could be a safety blanket for Manning.

5. Cortalle Patterson: Rookie with huge upside. Yes, his QBs are Ponder and Cassel, but with Jennings getting double teamed and focus on AP, Patterson has the big play ability to have big game spurts (though he also will have 4 point games as well, just depends on defense playing against).

6. Golden Tate: Look, this is simple math, No Harvin + oft-injuried Rice + contract year = Big time play. Only negative is playing in NFC west w/ three strong secondaries.

7. Justin Blackmon: Yes, he is suspended early, but your depth @ RB is ridiculously high enough to put a flyer on late. He has rapport w/both QBs and has consistency/big play potential, especially w/ a healthy MJD getting 8 in the box looks at the LOS.

Hope those help

Thanks for the write up! Very good stuff. I had Wayne and Luck last year and will be looking to pair them up again if possible. Good thing is in my league, I don't think Luck will be drafted til super late.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stanley:
Thanks for the response.

Roddy, Julio, Calvin, Dez, Garcon, Marshall, AJ Green are all being kept/high likely to be kept.

I haven the 40th overall pick factoring in the keepers. I think the value in making that pick a WR is low because like posted above, there is A LOT of quality WR's available in the middle rounds.

Instead with the 40th pick, should I reach and take a TE, or even a third RB, knowing full well that I can get quality WR later on?

I have no interest in picking a QB that early, but I hope everyone else does ;)

You can't ever go wrong with a third RB, typically (especially) in standard scoring I like to start 3 RBs based on the simple fact that they can accrue points running and catching.

There is literally no depth at RB so if there is someone like Lamar Miller, Reggie Bush, Montee Ball, or Giovanni Bernard I would take them.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
why would he trade mccoy for a 1st round pick in a keeper league?
dude better have had AP and Spiller lol

He liked having the #8 and #9 picks overall.

Keeping Alfred Morris and Roddy White, will grab Charles/MJD/CJ/Jackson no problem, and prob a Tom Brady.
He liked having the #8 and #9 picks overall.

Keeping Alfred Morris and Roddy White, will grab Charles/MJD/CJ/Jackson no problem, and prob a Tom Brady.

ohh it was only 2 keepers
If anyone cares here's how i ended up.
QB Vick, Weeden
RB McCoy, Martin, Richardson
WR Stevie Johnson, Garcon, Wayne, Hopkins, Williams, Crabtree
TE Vernon Davis
K Ryan Succop (Alex Smith scores FGs)
DEF Bucaneers

If anyone cares here's how i ended up.
QB Vick, Weeden
RB McCoy, Martin, Richardson
WR Stevie Johnson, Garcon, Wayne, Hopkins, Williams, Crabtree
TE Vernon Davis
K Ryan Succop (Alex Smith scores FGs)
DEF Bucaneers

Like the Wayne pick up (Luck's #1 target), and Williams could be solid if Freeman gets his confidence back (and Jackson gets double teamed all game).

Not a fan of the Garcon pick and assume the Crabtree pick was a last round thing where u can keep him for a late round pick next year once he gets healthy again?
I love the Garcon pick. Got him in the 6th round and I think he's in a great position as the #1 in Washington with a good supporting cast as well. Obviously injuries are a concern, for both he AND RG3, but I think the upside is ridiculous.

We have an IR spot so I'm stashing Crabtree unless someone I really need gets hurt. I can place him on IR once the season starts then probably pick up another QB or RB.
[ Edited by Stanley on Aug 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone