Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

• TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
one lucky throw, some good moves with his feet, no mistakes. B

c+. Huge lucky throw, but in the end they won.

F#ck that! He made a play. The ball was on the money! He won! Did not turn the ballover! If iot had been Alex who had made that play, you all would be calling him Jesus! Good game Troy and show these haters what a playmaker looks like!

That was a lucky throw up in the air and a great play by Delanie.

B+ performance still.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
A

One week of practice, and he has the best QB performance of the year. Definitely cannot ask more than that.

Halleluja!
I thought he looked good, especially after just one week of first team reps.

But I didn't think he looked like someone that will beat good teams. He just a looked a little too erratic and inaccurate.

I don't want to tear the guy down because he made some great plays and got us a win. But that was a pretty bad team we went up against, and we punted a lot.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
B grade, lucky pass to Walker, but it worked. I hope this signals the end to Alex Smith and Troy doesn't pull an Alex and regress off a decent performance. Notice what a mobile quarterback can do, even when the protection breaks down? I hope this also ends all the ridiculous excuses people make for Alex. I hope the last person on the Alex Smith bandwagon jumps off, we will forgive you for your lack of understanding the NFL game. Hopefully this performance by Troy Smith gets everyone on the team fired up. It is easy for your defense to stop trying when your offense goes nowhere with the ball.

P.S. I still want Dingletary fired at the end of the season or sooner. Obviously if he plays like this, Troy gives us a better chance to win than Carr or the other Smith, so why didn't Dingletary put him in sooner? Because he is stupid, that's why. I think if Troy went in the last game instead of Carr we could be 3-5, instead of 2-6.
Originally posted by Antix:
I'll give him a B. The Walker throw was mad lucky and coulda easily went the other way. No mistakes tho which is big, and he made some good plays with his feet.

Yeah. Had that been picked...it would have been a horrible decision. D Walk catches it and now it's "none of our other QBs have the balls to make those throws."

But you know what...I'll take our lucky breaks where we get them. Troy was impressive over all.

Exactly.
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

c+. Huge lucky throw, but in the end they won.

F#ck that! He made a play. The ball was on the money! He won! Did not turn the ballover! If iot had been Alex who had made that play, you all would be calling him Jesus! Good game Troy and show these haters what a playmaker looks like!

That was a lucky throw up in the air and a great play by Delanie.

B+ performance still.

Look at the pass! ON the money! Caught hiim stride. Walker did not have to make any adjustments. Just because he threw in while under presure makes it even more amazing.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
C Got extremely lucky on that hail mary pass throwing from his back foot.

But other than that he didn't make dumb decisions with the football. His mobility is a huge plus because he can buy more time for the WR's to get open.
B-

Some very errant throws early, but his play at the end kept him well above average. I also agree that the playcalling was stupefying. Gotta let the guy throw on some of those third downs, odds are we would've at least picked 1-2 of them up and not turned it over; I didn't see him make a truly bad read all game minus the lucky heave.

I'd like to see him start against St. Louis. He'll have two weeks two prepare, which will be twice as much prep as he's ever had in the system. I think he can only get better, and we're not winning much of anything this year, so we might as well see what we have.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I thought he looked good, especially after just one week of first team reps.

But I didn't think he looked like someone that will beat good teams. He just a looked a little too erratic and inaccurate.

I don't want to tear the guy down because he made some great plays and got us a win. But that was a pretty bad team we went up against, and we punted a lot.

I think that will improve with more reps..........how much I don't know.....and neither does anyone else.

I gave him a C. Not because he sucked and not because he was good. He did enough and the game plan held us back. Just like it has all season long.

Good or bad Alex is probably gone. But you can't lay this disaster at his feet cause he's put points on the board also.

I caught the game on Veetle and they kept going back and talking about lack of leadership. If there is a lack of leadership it's on the sideline and not at the QB position.

When Rachal played like crap nobody benched his sorry ass.

Same can be said for a BUNCH of these guys.

Gore gets his 4th thousand yard season in this game. We're not even halfway through the season yet. But we keep feeding to Frank and it almost cost us this game.

I don't give a crap who is under Center. I just want our team to stop playing with one foot on the banana peel dammit.

Anyway I gave Smith a C cause this is what we've had all along and I wish that people would stop taking a dump on our QB.

I will say that Carr is no longer QB2 with this performance by Troy Smith. We'll have to see what happens after the Bye. But if Alex gets the keys back it won't take long for Sing to yank him so he better be playing like his life depends on it.

~Ceadder
It was a great performance because we didn't turn it over! I don't know why people don't get that?? You can blame Sing, Raye od whomever but the REALITY is we win when we don't turn it over.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
A

Playcalling - F

yes!

if the play calling was any different, he probably would have gotten an F. would you rather have an A for play calling and an F for his performance?

you cant really expect him to come in there after one week of practice and start throwing the ball all over the field. I would definitely give the play calling a B
Let's see;

1 week of preperation in London.

vs

a full off-season and every snap in practice inluding mini camp/preseason/regular season.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A

Let him do something on 3rd and long... handoffs? youcantbef**kingserious
Share 49ersWebzone