LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

crzy's Dynasty Baseball League 2013 (vrabbit is the CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
So we're waiting to add people at 5pm on Friday right, because it says they're all FA's right now.

Yes

Scout's Honor and s**t

Well that, and I have the commish power to add and drop players from any team lol

Like Rabbit who picked up Chad Billingsly

my bad you guys
Originally posted by vrabbit:
So we're waiting to add people at 5pm on Friday right, because it says they're all FA's right now.

Yes

Scout's Honor and s**t

Well that, and I have the commish power to add and drop players from any team lol

my bad you guys

LOL I better claim Billinglsey now
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Yes

Scout's Honor and s**t

my bad you guys

Seriously, would just let Rabbit have that one, he looks awful and his elbow is going to fall off.

Yes

Scout's Honor and s**t

my bad you guys

Seriously, would just let Rabbit have that one, he looks awful and his elbow is going to fall off.

Good point.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:
I think it'd be stupid to even consider Chapman as a starter. I guess I look at the old saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"

The guy had 122K in 71.2 IP. When you think of the term DOMINANT, he is that guy. Closers that absolutely dominate aren't easy to find anymore. Hell, some teams don't even know who they want closing games.

The Reds can go with a starting 5 of:

Johnny Cueto
Mat Latos
Homer Bailey
Bronson Arroyo
Sean Marshall

and be just fine. Plus, now they have Broxton in the 8th and Chapman in the 9th.

Move is a no brainer for me.

I agree with this completely. I fully expected Reds to name him the closer.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I think it'd be stupid to even consider Chapman as a starter. I guess I look at the old saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it"

The guy had 122K in 71.2 IP. When you think of the term DOMINANT, he is that guy. Closers that absolutely dominate aren't easy to find anymore. Hell, some teams don't even know who they want closing games.

Johnny Cueto
Mat Latos
Homer Bailey
Bronson Arroyo
Sean Marshall

and be just fine. Plus, now they have Broxton in the 8th and Chapman in the 9th.

I agree with this take

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2013/03/21/the-morning-line-321-2/
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Johnny Cueto
Mat Latos
Homer Bailey
Bronson Arroyo
Sean Marshall

I agree with this take

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2013/03/21/the-morning-line-321-2/

I don't think Chapman can stay away from DL for too long if he is the starter. He does not has enough pitches to be a no.1 starter yet - which means he will rely too much on the two pitches he throws and his shoulder/elbow will give in. If you got one of the best closers in the game, you only make him a starter if he can be just as good a starter. Chapman is not ready for that and Dusty knows that better than some writer.
I don't think Chapman can stay away from DL for too long if he is the starter. He does not has enough pitches to be a no.1 starter yet - which means he will rely too much on the two pitches he throws and his shoulder/elbow will give in. If you got one of the best closers in the game, you only make him a starter if he can be just as good a starter. Chapman is not ready for that and Dusty knows that better than some writer.
Dusty knows that he ruins SPS because he is an idiot. Toothpick chewing dumbazz. However, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know Chapman's impact to that team is definitely at closer.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
ninerlifer

Adam Eaton out 6-8 weeks
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Dusty knows that he ruins SPS because he is an idiot. Toothpick chewing dumbazz. However, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know Chapman's impact to that team is definitely at closer.

I won't argue there...Dusty is an idiot. He made me pull my hair out plenty of times. But, Chapman is not ready to be a starter. In that ball-park...you can't be successful against MLB hitters if you're throwing just 101MPH pitches with little to no variation for 6 innings. For once, Dusty made the right decision.

nobody as asking him to be an ace yet

all he'd need to be this season is a #5 starter who can give the team 5-6 innings and continue to develop as a starter. Cincy is already paying $12.5 million per year to Marshall/Broxton for the next 3 seasons.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

all he'd need to be this season is a #5 starter who can give the team 5-6 innings and continue to develop as a starter. Cincy is already paying $12.5 million per year to Marshall/Broxton for the next 3 seasons.

lol...why would you move one of the best closer to no.5 role when Reds are contending for playoffs? This makes zero sense.

Plus, you ignored rest of the post. He has one pitch...his arm will die by the all-star weekend if he continues to throw that.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Mar 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM ]

lol...why would you move one of the best closer to no.5 role when Reds are contending for playoffs? This makes zero sense.

Plus, you ignored rest of the post. He has one pitch...his arm will die by the all-star weekend if he continues to throw that.

because you can do that while continuing to be a contender and it has the chance to pay big time in the long run. If Broxton turns out to be an epic failure as a closer then fine, move Chapman back. And he went from having 2 pitches to now only 1? So this highly skilled 25-year old will fail to develop at least a 3rd pitch and moreover lose his secondary pitch as well. Alright then.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
because you can do that while continuing to be a contender and it has the chance to pay big time in the long run. If Broxton turns out to be an epic failure as a closer then fine, move Chapman back. And he went from having 2 pitches to now only 1? So this highly skilled 25-year old will fail to develop at least a 3rd pitch and moreover lose his secondary pitch as well. Alright then.

He has one great pitch, and one so-so to good pitch. That's all he has. He has yet to develop 3rd pitch and if he failed to develop it in the off-season, he isn't going to develop it over the season.

You're missing the point. Moving him to a starter at this point exposes him to a major injury - which Reds can't afford. In fact, it is very likely he gets injured. The decision is simple. If Chapman came in the camp and said: I have mastered my 2nd pitch and developed a 3rd pitch which I can consistently use in the 2nd half of the season...then Yes - he should be a starter. But, he hasn't done any of those things from what I've read so far - which really means a) he won't be successful as a starter b) he will get injured sooner rather than later

As of right now, it's stupid to move him to starter. Dusty didn't decide this...Chapman made the decision for him by not improving in the offseason.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
...anyway, I don't really care for the Reds or Chapman to continue this debate. I'll just say this: IMO Dusty made the only decision he could. Chapman may one day be the starter for the Reds - but not in April of 2013.
Share 49ersWebzone