LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

NFL: Your #1 Pick (Draft Strategy Thread)

• Garce
  • Veteran
Cameron Jerrell Newton

What's yours?
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Rodgers
just going with the safer pick.

but #2 would be CAAAAAMMM
Cam goes Ham
Rodgers easily

I would take Brady and Brees over Newton any day.

I know what I'm getting with these guys, consistency every single week and almost a guarantee that you will beat your opponent in the QB category.
[ Edited by eamjr10 on Jul 14, 2012 at 7:37 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Rodgers easily

I would take Brady and Brees over Newton any day.

I know what I'm getting with these guys, consistency every single week and almost a guarantee that you will beat your opponent in the QB category.

That's a good point.
I understand that Newton has tremendous upside and has the capability to put up some insane numbers.....but I just don't feel comfortable taking a 2nd year QB who didn't pass for over 300 yards one time past Week 6. Newton's value came from his rushing numbers last season, and I don't see him putting up 14 TDs again.

IMO there are much more safer picks in the first round. Now if I was able to get Arian Foster, or Ray Rice in the first round then can grab Cam late in the 2nd then I would feel much better.

I think Cam...at this moment....should be a mid to late 2nd round pick.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I understand that Newton has tremendous upside and has the capability to put up some insane numbers.....but I just don't feel comfortable taking a 2nd year QB who didn't pass for over 300 yards one time past Week 6. Newton's value came from his rushing numbers last season, and I don't see him putting up 14 TDs again.

IMO there are much more safer picks in the first round. Now if I was able to get Arian Foster, or Ray Rice in the first round then can grab Cam late in the 2nd then I would feel much better.

I think Cam...at this moment....should be a mid to late 2nd round pick.

I agree with you
thats why I said I'd take Rodgers #1

I dont feel comfortable taking a 2nd year QB with the #1 pick. Newton is a great talent and I know he broke records last year but I'd rather go with the proven QB and the best QB in the league, Rodgers. You know what you're getting with Rodgers. With Newton you're hoping he gets even better. Too risky to pick over Rodgers or Brady imo
Originally posted by ImaMod:
I agree with you

I dont feel comfortable taking a 2nd year QB with the #1 pick. Newton is a great talent and I know he broke records last year but I'd rather go with the proven QB and the best QB in the league, Rodgers. You know what you're getting with Rodgers. With Newton you're hoping he gets even better. Too risky to pick over Rodgers or Brady imo

Absolutely...the dropoff from Rodgers/Brady/Brees to the 2nd tier QBs is pretty significant. (Stafford could
be knocking on that door, but his numbers rely a lot on Megatron...I wouldn't take him in the first round either)

If I can't get one of those three guys then I'll grab a top RB and get my QB in a later round (prob. 2nd) depening on whats available...WRs are very deep this season, there will be solid receivers available in the 3-5 rounds.

This is definitely a season I want a Top 6 pick though lol
[ Edited by eamjr10 on Jul 14, 2012 at 8:22 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Absolutely...the dropoff from Rodgers/Brady/Brees to the 2nd tier QBs is pretty significant. (Stafford could
be knocking on that door, but his numbers rely a lot on Megatron...I wouldn't take him in the first round either)

If I can't get one of those three guys then I'll grab a top RB and get my QB in a later round (prob. 2nd) depening on whats available...WRs are very deep this season, there will be solid receivers available in the 3-5 rounds.

I was thinking the same
If the top 3 QBs are gona when I pick in the 1st round Im going with an RB for sure

talking about this makes me miss football season so much 7 more weeks!
These are the guys that I would feel very comfortable to have on my team

Safe Picks:
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Foster
Rice

The rest of the first round I have some question marks and doubts about personally.

McCoy
MJD
Calvin Johnson
Chris Johnson
Ryan Matthews

These are based on early ADPs and projection rankings and who I expect to see taken in the first round

(subject to change)

I was thinking the same
If the top 3 QBs are gona when I pick in the 1st round Im going with an RB for sure

talking about this makes me miss football season so much 7 more weeks!

I hear ya....but this is the time I use to do my homework...most of the guys in my league aren't even thinking about draft strategies lol

That's how I stole Rodgers at #4 and cruised to a Championship
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I agree with you

I'm changing up the topic a little here gents, since I think it's related.

Draft Strategy.

I would probably go Cam #1, but my strategy has always been to go RB, RB, WR, RB then QB.

Sometimes this can be risky, if you are left with Garbage QBs. One year I got f**ked because I was left with Brett Favre (last year in Minne) and it pretty much ruined me.

But I went 12-1 last year and had a phenomenal draft. Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Dwayne Bowe (meh, sucked towards the end when Cassel went down) and then I picked up Matt Schaub in round 5.

So I usually wait to draft a QB til round 4 or 5 but wit QBs putting up the most points in fantasy it seems like you almost have to draft one in round 1.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
These are the guys that I would feel very comfortable to have on my team

Safe Picks:
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Foster
Rice

The rest of the first round I have some question marks and doubts about personally.

McCoy
MJD
Calvin Johnson
Chris Johnson
Ryan Matthews

These are based on early ADPs and projection rankings and who I expect to see taken in the first round

(subject to change)

I really like McCoy, he had 20 TDs last year.

Ryan Mathews was frustrating, because he is a stud and came through big time. Got him in round 4. But he always got vultured by Tobert (who is gone THANK YOU AJ SMITH) But he is somewhat injury prone with nagging injuries. But I think his stats could have been WAY better if he didn't get vultured and they used him on 3rd downs more.

I don't know why you aren't sure about Megatron.... ?
Originally posted by Garcia:
I'm changing up the topic a little here gents, since I think it's related.

Draft Strategy.

I would probably go Cam #1, but my strategy has always been to go RB, RB, WR, RB then QB.

Sometimes this can be risky, if you are left with Garbage QBs. One year I got f**ked because I was left with Brett Favre (last year in Minne) and it pretty much ruined me.

But I went 12-1 last year and had a phenomenal draft. Ray Rice, Michael Turner, Dwayne Bowe (meh, sucked towards the end when Cassel went down) and then I picked up Matt Schaub in round 5.

So I usually wait to draft a QB til round 4 or 5 but wit QBs putting up the most points in fantasy it seems like you almost have to draft one in round 1.

Yea and that is usually the draft strategy I use, but the game is definitely changing and QBs are constantly the top scorers every week. That's why I am so big on getting one of the "elite" guys because the fantasy value from Rodgers to a second tier guy like Romo is pretty significant.

Now I am big on getting a top RB as well like Foster/Rice/McCoy/MJD because after those guys it's a crapshoot. So if I can get a guy like Foster in the first round I would be happy and adjust my strategy.

But I agree...if I miss out on the top 3 QBs then I will be drafting a QB later on because the dropoff from Romo to someone like Ryan is very small and those guys will be available much later in the draft.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Yea and that is usually the draft strategy I use, but the game is definitely changing and QBs are constantly the top scorers every week. That's why I am so big on getting one of the "elite" guys because the fantasy value from Rodgers to a second tier guy like Romo is pretty significant.

Now I am big on getting a top RB as well like Foster/Rice/McCoy/MJD because after those guys it's a crapshoot. So if I can get a guy like Foster in the first round I would be happy and adjust my strategy.

But I agree...if I miss out on the top 3 QBs then I will be drafting a QB later on because the dropoff from Romo to someone like Ryan is very small and those guys will be available much later in the draft.

Yeah, I guess it depends a lot on where you are drafting (snake draft)

I will be participating in my first live auction draft and that should be really exciting and interesting.

Have any of you guys done an auction draft? Any tips?
Share 49ersWebzone