LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

crzy's Dynasty Baseball League

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
and f**k you 4ML for taking Olt 4 minutes before I could

Cant imagine Olt having enough value to keep him for next season as one of your 4 keepers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have a 23rd round pick, you can't keep someone you picked up off the waiver-wire right? Or are free agents just valued at whatever the lowest pick you currently have?

crzy mentioned it early, but the people that have been trading picks can't keep someone if they don't have a pick in the round they are currently valued at.

Like me, since I traded a 4th and a 8th round pick earlier this season, I'm unable to keep Uggla and Choo.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Cant imagine Olt having enough value to keep him for next season as one of your 4 keepers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't have a 23rd round pick, you can't keep someone you picked up off the waiver-wire right? Or are free agents just valued at whatever the lowest pick you currently have?

crzy mentioned it early, but the people that have been trading picks can't keep someone if they don't have a pick in the round they are currently valued at.

Like me, since I traded a 4th and a 8th round pick earlier this season, I'm unable to keep Uggla and Choo.

I think its the lowest pick you have. If you have given up your 23rd pick already I believe you would then give up your 22nd rd pick if you kept a free agent pickup.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

I think if he keeps a FA and he already traded his 23rd pick, then he'd lose his 22nd pick or whatever his last pick is.

As to the other questions, I believe you could still keep those players, but it'd cost you either your previous or next round pick. IMO it should be your previous
Further clarification... if you have a 5th round pick that you have had for 2 years and plan on keeping him... do you lose your 3rd rd pick next year? What if you plan on also keeping your 2nd and 3rd rd picks.. do you then give up your 4th rounder?
Originally posted by crzy:
With the unique keeper system in place in this league, I hope people have an understanding how trading future picks in this draft will affect their keeper situation.

For instance, if someone decides to trade away their 1st round pick, then they will not be able to keep the Player that would have had 1st round keeper value.

Meaning if I traded away my first round pick. I couldn't make that trade AND simultaneously keep Carlos Gonzalez. That would make zero sense. Since trading away the pick implies that I no longer can use the pick to keep Carlos Gonzalez as well.

Trading away picks limits the players you can potentially keep.

As you can see, trading future picks creates a whole bunch of problems which aren't entirely resolved because of the weird system we have in place.

This is why I was curious. I'm just not sure if what crzy says here also applies to free agents.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
The loopholes is why this rule exists.

9) All other scenarios not specified in the keeper rules above will be determined at the commissioner's discretion.

If you don't have a 23rd round pick, and wanted to keep someone would normally have 23rd round pick value...then you would give up the next highest round (22nd round pick), etc.

If you traded away your 5th round pick, Boise,

And you wanted to keep Dan Uggla (who would normally have had 5th round keeper value),

Then you would have to give up your 4th round pick.

We're going to have to evalute these weird situations on a case-by-case basis
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Further clarification... if you have a 5th round pick that you have had for 2 years and plan on keeping him... do you lose your 3rd rd pick next year? What if you plan on also keeping your 2nd and 3rd rd picks.. do you then give up your 4th rounder?

If we assume that you keep the same four players. Halladay (1), McCutchen (4), Beltre (5), Kennedy (19)

Well then they would have this keeper round value next year. Halladay (1), McCutchen (2), Beltre (3), Kennedy (10)

7) If you decide to keep a player in subsequent years...the "keeper round" of the player will jump up as the original draft round divided by 2 (rounded).

So Beltre would be Round 5 divided by 2, which is 2.5, rounded up to 3.

This only applies to players that you've kept for subsequent years.

Meaning if you decided to keep David Ortiz, he would have 10th round keeper value since you didn't keep him the year before.

If you decided to keep Matt Holiday, then his keeper value would supercede rule 7 above.

Let's assume you keep

Roy Halladay, Matt Holiday, McCutchen, Beltre

Keeper values would be. Halladay (1), Holiday (2), McCutchen (3), Beltre (4)

Let's assume you keep Matt Holiday, Paul Konerko, Adrian Beltre, Matt Wieters.

Their keeper value would be Matt Holiday (2), Paul Konerko (3), Adrian Beltre (4), Weiters (8)

Meaning the keeper round values are assigned top to bottom.
[ Edited by crzy on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM ]

If we assume that you keep the same four players. Halladay (1), McCutchen (4), Beltre (5), Kennedy (19)

Well then they would have this keeper round value next year. Halladay (1), McCutchen (2), Beltre (3), Kennedy (10)

7) If you decide to keep a player in subsequent years...the "keeper round" of the player will jump up as the original draft round divided by 2 (rounded).

Meaning if you decided to keep David Ortiz, he would have 10th round keeper value since you didn't keep him the year before.

good work as always, crzy

I think its safe to say I wont be keeping Doc next year. Thanks for that clarification.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
^^ I posted what would happen if you kept Matt Holiday above.

The keepers are assigned top to bottom.
good work as always, crzy

This. Thank you for clearing things up crzy.

Sorry I'm an attention to detail rules nazi that needs every clarified.

Downward spiral
^^ I posted what would happen if you kept Matt Holiday above.

The keepers are assigned top to bottom.

Well.. I think that clears up my keepers for me:
Holiday - give up 2nd
McCutchen - give up 3rd
Beltre - give up 4th
Encarnacion - give up 18th or Craig 19th or Ortiz 10th..

Ok.. maybe not so clear.. LOL
FIRE SALE

EVERYONE but Posey, Bumgarner, and probably Chapman is available. I'll probably keep Granderson once again since he'd be great value (4th round cost). Looking for picks for next season.

4th highest scoring team to date, worst record nobody has had more bad luck than me in this league, NOOOOOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOOODYYYYYYYY
Share 49ersWebzone