LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

How are you a true fan to a team if you play fantasy?

I never understood this. Back when I did do fantasy, I would only draft guys that played on teams that didn't play the Niners- but that's obviously not conducive to being competitive...how can all you guys draft and play and root for guys that play the Niners that week? Niners gotta be more important baby! For instance, we play the Eagles next Sunday and I bet plenty of you guys will secretly not mind seeing Vick (if he plays)/Jackson/Maclin/McCoy have good games for fantasy related reasons....disappointing...I always thought fantasy players don't have true allegiances to a team. IMO there's only 53 players in the league we should root for (plus obviously teams playing Rams/Cards/Seahawks)...
There's rooting for 1 player on the other team to do good and then there's rooting for a whole team to win.
Originally posted by MadMoneyMarshall:
There's rooting for 1 player on the other team to do good and then there's rooting for a whole team to win.

So let's say you got DeSean Jackson on your fantasy team and he catches an 80 yard TD against us, you'd be happy, right? I'm sorry, but I personally just can't consider that line of thinking/mindset as representing legitimate "fanhood." I don't even care if you hope the Niners win- something that decreases those chances would cause happiness...in my mind that's casual fanhood at best.
I would be pissed but knowing it got me FF points I would be a little more cool tempered
Can't you just draft and set the best lineup you can then forget about it and watch the Niner game?
  • mod
  • Veteran
I have Miles Austin lol

made sure to play him the week he played us
Originally posted by andes14:

So let's say you got DeSean Jackson on your fantasy team and he catches an 80 yard TD against us, you'd be happy, right? I'm sorry, but I personally just can't consider that line of thinking/mindset as representing legitimate "fanhood." I don't even care if you hope the Niners win- something that decreases those chances would cause happiness...in my mind that's casual fanhood at best.

way to take it too seriously...

If i have a player facing SF, like Witten last week, I hope for a Niners win and a big day for Witten. in the end all that matters is wins. The way i see it, its a benefit. Someone who had Miles Austin last week probably took the loss a little better than everyone else. If someone has to kill the Niners, it might as well be your guy.

it can be a weird feeling to not be super pissed when someone on the opposing team scores, but you get used to it. I remember years ago I had Keenan McCardell back when he was on the Bucs, and in a game against the Niners, he caught a 90+ yard TD pass, but we still beat them pretty soundly. it was win/win.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by andes14:

way to take it too seriously...

If i have a player facing SF, like Witten last week, I hope for a Niners win and a big day for Witten. in the end all that matters is wins. The way i see it, its a benefit. Someone who had Miles Austin last week probably took the loss a little better than everyone else. If someone has to kill the Niners, it might as well be your guy.

it can be a weird feeling to not be super pissed when someone on the opposing team scores, but you get used to it. I remember years ago I had Keenan McCardell back when he was on the Bucs, and in a game against the Niners, he caught a 90+ yard TD pass, but we still beat them pretty soundly. it was win/win.

He's just jealous because he cant experience the same joy we do knowing that at least our fantasy team kicked ass that week.
I don't draft NFC West players. I draft Niners though. I am not rooting for players I need to lose. And I have success with this theory.
I honestly used to bench players whenever they played the 9ers until last year.. not anymore. Its more of a win-win situation

This is my last year playing fantasy football. I dont know why i even started playing again
i got the eagles defense as starter
I don't root for them to do good if they play us. Austin got me a lot of points last week but it pissed me off. I didn't cheer when he scored

Fantasy football is what it is. I don't have money leagues so at the end of the day I don't really care if I win. It's not a big deal
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
It's about hedging your bets emotionally.

Obviously the Niners take priority, but I could take some solace in the fact that at least Miles Austin might help me win my money league.
I dont root against the Niners or Giants. However, I also play fantasy to win and can separate the 2 quite easily. I don't think that makes me any less of a "true fan".
Share 49ersWebzone