LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 156 users in the forums

The Manning Effect

The news today is that Peyton Manning will probably be out for a little while, with one writer even reporting that he'll be out all year.

It's not so bad for me because I don't have Peyton Manning on my team.

But I do have 2 starters from the Colts and now I'm not sure what to do with them.

My TEs are Dallas Clark and Hernandez. I'm thinking that even with Manning out, Clark is still the better option. Do you guys agree?

But my WR3 is Pierre Garcon. And he makes me nervous now. Should I still start him over Roy Williams, Emmanuel Sanders or James Jones?

And my third Manning Effect question is, since I don't have a back up QB on my roster, should I take a flyer on Kerry Collins? Seems like there's a good chance he plays a lot of games (or all the games) this year. And is Indy good enough as a team to make into Collins into a good fantasy QB?
I think with Manning out, the biggest hits on that offense are going to be the lower tier guys, like Garcon and Collie. Guys like Wayne and Clark will probably be leaned on even more now. I think Manning made guys like Garcon and Collie worthy fantasy picks, but Wayne and Clark are elite talents still worthy of starting.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
I think with Manning out, the biggest hits on that offense are going to be the lower tier guys, like Garcon and Collie. Guys like Wayne and Clark will probably be leaned on even more now. I think Manning made guys like Garcon and Collie worthy fantasy picks, but Wayne and Clark are elite talents still worthy of starting.

This. Well said.
Thanks for the feedback.

So, keep Clark in.

Would you start Roy Williams, Sanders, or James Jones over Garcon? I know, none of them really great options.....

I was thinking of starting Jones just so I have something to watch tonight, but that's not the best reason....
I'd keep Clark in.

That's a tough call for your WR3. Sanders is still nursing that injury I believe, and James Jones will be fighting for looks with Jennings, Finley and Nelson out there. And Roy Williams is, well, Roy Williams.

I think I might just start Roy Williams because I think the Bears will fall behind against the Falcons and have to air it out, and his big frame should get some looks in the RZ where Culter likes to throw to the bigger WRs. Very tough call though.
Well, now it's just come out that Manning had surgery today. So he could be out for the whole year.

That means Garcon is probably going to be worthless this year. I might take your advice and hope Roy Williams has a come back year.

What do you guys think about Collins as a back up QB now?
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Well, now it's just come out that Manning had surgery today. So he could be out for the whole year.

That means Garcon is probably going to be worthless this year. I might take your advice and hope Roy Williams has a come back year.

What do you guys think about Collins as a back up QB now?

Regarding Collins, who knows. He's 41 and brand new to a very complex offense relied totally on Manning. As a backup he seems like a fair risk.
Well, it's sure looking like Manning's injury cost me two good starters. Clark and Garcon both look waaaaaay less productive with Collins.

I'm wondering if Garcon is even worth keeping now.

I still don't have a back up QB, so I'm thinking about sacrificing Garcon to pick up.... Cam Newton (I can't believe I'm typing that!)
Well, it's sure looking like Manning's injury cost me two good starters. Clark and Garcon both look waaaaaay less productive with Collins.

I still don't have a back up QB, so I'm thinking about sacrificing Garcon to pick up.... Cam Newton (I can't believe I'm typing that!)

Agreed! Thinking about dropping Garcon to pick up carnell williams?
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Agreed! Thinking about dropping Garcon to pick up carnell williams?

I'd do that in a second if Cadillac was available in my league.

Someone already grabbed Newton. So now I'm thinking about dropping Garcon to pick up Grossman, Ward or Daniel Thomas.

But I also might just give it another week. I'd like Grossman, but he has the same bye as Romo, so there's not much point in having both.

Share 49ersWebzone