There are 215 users in the forums

Potentiial top 10 breakthrough players in 2010

Updated Jul 9, 2010 3:29 PM ET
Some of the 10 potential breakthrough players that appear in this countdown might be considered “sleepers.” Others are players that I’m targeting as potential outperforming their current draft status. I’ve omitted Jamaal Charles, who’s getting his love on draft day, and rookies from this listing. Felix Jones narrowly missed the cut.

Let’s get started in Denver.

10. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver

Moreno’s an interesting player to watch on the draft board this summer. He quietly fell short of the 1,000-yard barrier by a mere 53 yards as a rookie. Moreno produced seven games with at least 75 rushing yards while splitting time with Correll Buckhalter. He is back to eat into his workload, and Tim Tebow potentially reduces his goal-line chances.

I’m eager to see him become more involved in the passing game, as there are now 100 receptions to be spread out following Brandon Marshall’s departure. The Broncos don’t have a sure-fire No. 1 receiver (will Eddie Royal rebound?) and there will be a competition for the quarterback job in camp (Kyle Orton should be the guy). As such, the running game returns to the forefront of the Denver attack.

9. Mike Wallace, WR, Pittsburgh

I don’t know that I need to produce a full dissertation on Wallace following a strong rookie campaign and the departure of Super Bowl hero Santonio Holmes. Wallace was already seeing a healthy improvement in his draft status prior to that announcement, and has regularly been spotted in the lows 20s among wide receivers during early drafts. He caught multiple passes during 14 games last season while averaging a game-changing 19.6 yards per catch with six touchdowns.

Of course, there is some risk associated with a Wallace selection out of the gate. Ben Roethlisberger’s suspension will keep him sidelined for 4-6 weeks, thereby putting the ball into the hands of Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon or another option. Even if Wallace can’t produce a big-time reception total during Roethlisberger’s absence, he’s still a huge threat for a big hit downfield.

8. Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit
After years of misery in the post-Barry Sanders era (I know. They were still terrible in that era, but at least you got to watch Barry.), everything seems to be lining up for the Lions to finally generate consistent offensive production. The arrival of Nate Burleson gives Matthew Stafford a legitimate No. 2 option opposite all-world talent Calvin Johnson. Brandon Pettigrew had started to find his way before an injury cost him the second half of his rookie campaign. And, well, Jahvid Best has the goods to become a game-breaking option immediately out of the backfield.

The second-year quarterback from Georgia has the supporting cast at the skill positions to make a huge leap forward as a sophomore. Remember, he did demonstrate some ridiculous skills at times as a rookie. The big question concerns offensive line support. If given time to operate, Stafford certainly has weapons to deliver numbers. He’ll need to avoid Julius Peppers and Jared Allen to do so.

7. Devin Aromashodu, WR, Chicago

The Bears still have a lot to sort out in the receiver ranks for Jay Cutler’s second season in Chicago. A number of receivers on the roster, including Devin Hester and Earl Bennett, have the potential to pile up numbers and break away for big-time gains. However, Aromashodu has emerged from the pack as the top option following a tremendous close to the 2009 season.

Aromashodu became a household name in fantasy circles with his strong final month for the Bears (22 catches during the final four games). He’ll become a fantasy difference-maker out of the gate in Mike Martz’s frenzied attack. Right now, Aromashodu is being drafted as a late-WR3 or early-WR4. He’s got the potential to markedly outperform that draft slot if Cutler cuts down on his turnover total.

6. Malcom Floyd, WR, San Diego

Floyd finally signed his one-year tender to get back into workouts alongside Philip Rivers. It’s proving to be a stroke of genius, as fellow wideout Vincent Jackson appears set to embark on a lengthy holdout. Floyd caught multiple passes during 13 games last season, averaging 17.2 yards per reception while scoring a single touchdown.

Now, I’m still reticent to believe that Jackson leaves a multi-million dollar contract on the table through training camp. Given his past earnings and the potential labor issues on tap for 2001, it’s a substantial chunk of change to forgo. For now, look at the positive side of this from the Floyd perspective. Every day missed by Jackson is another day that Floyd gets extra reps with Rivers and firms up their rapport.

I’ve banged the drum on Floyd as a potential sleeper for a couple years. This year, the 6-foot-5 receiver makes me proud.

5. Chris “Beanie” Wells, RB, Arizona

The retirement of Kurt Warner probably shifts the playcalling in Arizona to a more balanced offering. Wells figures to be the primary beneficiary on the ground after making a strong leap forward in his blocking during the second half of last year, although Tim Hightower still piles up receptions and vultures goal-line carries.

Wells averaged 4.5 yards per carry and scored seven times, even with Hightower and the talented receivers reducing his red zone chances. With Hightower and Matt Leinart’s efforts considered, the addition of Alan Faneca to the offensive line makes me believe that Wells will have a substantial boost in performance.

4. Matt Cassel, QB, Kansas City

Will it be a happy reunion in Kansas City? Charlie Weis joins the Kansas City staff to ignite the offense and propel his former pupil to play in line with his massive salary. Cassel did amass 2,924 passing yards with 16 touchdowns and 16 interceptions last season, including eight 200-yard games. The biggest area of Cassel’s game in need of improvement is pocket presence. In the past two years, he’s absorbed 89 sacks. You can only blame your offensive line so much.

I believe that he’s a bit undervalued coming into the season, and I’m still considering a sizable move in my next round of quarterback rankings. He’s got two quality receivers at his disposal in Dwayne Bowe (so long as he stays out of trouble) and veteran Chris Chambers, who performed well upon his arrival in Kansas City last season. He also has a loaded backfield (Charles, Thomas Jones and all-world athlete Dexter McCluster).

3. Alex Smith, QB, San Francisco

Following his tremendous return to the starting lineup in 2009, the 49ers invested heavily in their former No. 1 overall pick. They selected offensive linemen with their first picks in this year’s draft and did not bring in another veteran or rookie to pressure him.

I like the potential for this unit in 2010. Television stations have already assigned an editor to monitor games for Michael Crabtree highlights. Vernon Davis finally shook past his demons and posted numbers in line with our grandiose expectations. Frank Gore is a tremendous multi-purpose back who benefits from the addition of those aforementioned behemoths up front. Josh Morgan is an undervalued No. 2.

Now, I know it’s hard to put a ton of stock in Smith given the production, or lack thereof, in his first three NFL seasons. However, the potential is immense, and I’ve firmly planted Smith at the No. 15 slot in my quarterback rankings.

2. LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia

The youth movement is in full effect in Philadelphia. The rise of the speedy wideouts has been well-chronicled, and we received a glimpse of Kevin Kolb’s big-time arm during two starts last year. In the backfield, McCoy takes over for longtime Philadelphia and fantasy hero Brian Westbrook.

McCoy takes over the lead role in Andy Reid’s offense, and came into mini-camps meaner, leaner and more explosive. He’s cut in the same mold as Westbrook, having amassed 945 total yards as a rookie on 195 touches, including 40 receptions. I understand that McCoy will cede some carries to veteran Mike Bell, but the potential is huge if Kolb is up to the task.

1. Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco

Crabtree produced a phenomenal rookie season despite missed five games because of an ill-advised holdout. He averaged 56.8 yards per game and caught 48 passes working opposite Morgan and the revitalized Vernon Davis.

As we examine the 2010 version of this team, you can’t help but get excited about Crabtree’s potential. The core of the offense, including tailback Gore, returns intact. Smith and Crabtree have had a full offseason to work on their timing. The 49ers drafted linemen with their first two picks in this year’s NFL Draft and showed big-time confidence in Smith. Unless his game suddenly regresses to his past depths (I shudder to consider it), Crabtree has the potential to put up some monster numbers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/football/story/Harmon-Fantasy-Football-Breakthroughs-Emerging-Stars-070610
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Wow, that guy is a 49er homer.
Originally posted by crzy:

Not really, Alex threw for 2, 350 yds with 18 tds in 10 games started. That averages out to about 28 Tds and and 3500 yds over a 16 game season.

Then you got crabs who looked like a vet without even attending TC. He had no rapport with Smith and he still played like a number one WR.

I think he is pretty spot on.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dominate:

Not really, Alex threw for 2, 350 yds with 18 tds in 10 games started. That averages out to about 28 Tds and and 3500 yds over a 16 game season.

Then you got crabs who looked like a vet without even attending TC. He had no rapport with Smith and he still played like a number one WR.

Yea...but we won't be throwing that much this season. We will be running a lot more otherwise we wouldn't have drafted two OL who excel at run blocking and need to work on their pass-blocking. I don't see how either one of them will have a break-out year. They might have good years, but breakout years (as in pro-bowl type of years)...far from it.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Yea...but we won't be throwing that much this season. We will be running a lot more otherwise we wouldn't have drafted two OL who excel at run blocking and need to work on their pass-blocking. I don't see how either one of them will have a break-out year. They might have good years, but breakout years (as in pro-bowl type of years)...far from it.

There is no way we dont pass the ball early and often this year. We cant win if we dont throw the ball and Sing learned that lesson last year. We need to use the pass to setup the run. And then ram it down their throats in the 2nd half with a lead. We have alot of weapons and our offense is very dangerous. Yes it hinges on Alex, but Alex looked pretty good last year and I dont see why he wont look even better this year. Another offseason under Raye, a full offseason with Crabs/Ginn and his favorite target VD we be back and better than ever. Plus he still has Gore to rely on.

I see big things this year!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

How many touchdown passes did he throw in against the Packers and Texans when they were up by a ton of points and playing soft defense?

Crabtree is going to be a beast, but whoever drafts Alex Smith in fantasy football as their #1 QB will not make the playoffs.

How many touchdown passes did he throw in against the Packers and Texans when they were up by a ton of points and playing soft defense?

Crabtree is going to be a beast, but whoever drafts Alex Smith in fantasy football as their #1 QB will not make the playoffs.

look at the numbers bro, alex was a top 10 fantasy qb to end the season. Your hate for Alex is only hiding you from the truth.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
There are no less than 20 quarterbacks who should be drafted ahead of Alex Smith in fantasy.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
look at the numbers bro, alex was a top 10 fantasy qb to end the season. Your hate for Alex is only hiding you from the truth.

False.

That is not true. He put up mediocre numbers against the Cardinals, Eagles, Lions, and Rams to end the season.

He only had three decent fantasy games, the Texans game, the Sehawks game, Jaguars, and the Packers game

And half of those games were when the Niners were coming back in garbage time against the Packers/Texans.
There are no less than 20 quarterbacks who should be drafted ahead of Alex Smith in fantasy.

Not going off of the most recent stats....... Since he took over he was a top 10 QB..... Then numbers dont lie..... check it out for yourself....... He was avg 20 pts a game in my league last year.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Not going off of the most recent stats....... Since he took over he was a top 10 QB..... Then numbers dont lie..... check it out for yourself....... He was avg 20 pts a game in my league last year.

Your league then has some sort of messed up scoring system.

False.

That is not true. He put up mediocre numbers against the Cardinals, Eagles, Lions, and Rams to end the season.

He only had three decent fantasy games, the Texans game, the Sehawks game, Jaguars, and the Packers game

And half of those games were when the Niners were coming back in garbage time against the Packers/Texans.

Oh yeah, I forgot we dont count stats if they are good. Only when they are bad.
http://football17.myfantasyleague.com/2009/top?L=36593&SEARCHTYPE=BASIC&COUNT=30&YEAR=2009&START_WEEK=7&END_WEEK=17&CATEGORY=overall&POSITION=QB&DISPLAY=points&TEAM=*

He was actually 12 not 10. but he was ranked ahead of Warner and others. Numbers dont lie though.
[ Edited by Dominate on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:52 PM ]

does anyone's stats count once we're down by a lot?
[ Edited by teeohh on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:

does anyone's stats count once we're down by a lot?

When we were down to the Giants in the playoff game and then we came back to win do those stats count?
Share 49ersWebzone